Square baler parts

/ Square baler parts #1  

hardtime

Tractor
J/D 345
Like many others I am toying with the idea of doing my own hay. I will be going with a used square baler . my question is which balers are repair parts still available and those that are not.

/ Square baler parts #2  
In most cases, you can get baler parts for almost any baler. Even ones long ago discontinued have parts availability from AG scrap yards, which are all over the country.

Generally speaking, Deere, New Holland, Hesston, Case-IH, etc. are balers with better parts support.
Not a guarantee, but more common than long gone balers like International Harvester, Ford, New Idea, etc.

/ Square baler parts #3  
Any reason not do do rounds? The round balers are actually MUCH simpler.

My square baler was in storage for the last 12 months due to my job and I’m getting ready to bale. I’ve put in almost 12 hours over the last four days getting it all ready and have final timing and chain tensioning still to do. This is a two year old basically new baler, hasn’t even broken 10k bales yet. In 12 hours you can replace all the bearings and belts on a round baler. Just food for thought.

/ Square baler parts
In most cases, you can get baler parts for almost any baler. Even ones long ago discontinued have parts availability from AG scrap yards, which are all over the country.

Generally speaking, Deere, New Holland, Hesston, Case-IH, etc. are balers with better parts support.
Not a guarantee, but more common than long gone balers like International Harvester, Ford, New Idea, etc.
Thank you for your reply. I have been kicking this around and I am aware used gear will need attention and don't want to make this any more difficult or costly than possible.

/ Square baler parts
Any reason not do do rounds? The round balers are actually MUCH simpler.

My square baler was in storage for the last 12 months due to my job and I’m getting ready to bale. I’ve put in almost 12 hours over the last four days getting it all ready and have final timing and chain tensioning still to do. This is a two year old basically new baler, hasn’t even broken 10k bales yet. In 12 hours you can replace all the bearings and belts on a round baler. Just food for thought.
As I have limited acres, (50) my intentions are to concentrate on as high quality forage as possible.

Although with squares the hand labor is much higher as well as time required to process but my thinking at this time is after the equipment is gathered and made field ready and after finishing mine I can contract this service out to other small farms close by.

I am in n/c Arkansas and no commercial cutter is interested in these small parcels. My guy never even showed this year. I am getting ready to brush hog mine now. Lost this years yield and fertilizer/ labor/ fuel.

Hopefully I can recoop the equipment cost in 4 or 5 years if I can keep the initial cost down and if it doesn't pencil out I have the option of selling th equipment off to the next small operator.

/ Square baler parts #6  
Not surprised your guy didn’t show. He’s probably overextended himself, or has insurmountable equipment repair costs.
Probably not a bad idea to do it yourself.
Hay farming is difficult to make a profit in unless:
1. you are a very large operation.
2. you inherited all the equipment and barns so you have low equipment costs
3. you are a small timer/hobbyist with a full time job or spouse has nice income.

Inflation and high interest rates from the last few years is causing farming operations to go under in numbers this country has never seen.

/ Square baler parts #7  
I think JD small sq balers would be a good choice on models 336/346 to present models. Most of the parts on these models are interchangeable & very little has been changed between models so I think parts acquisition if needed won't be a problem. JD small sq balers I'm referring to have only 2 chains to contend with, not multiple chains similar to other brands. JD small sq balers have a long history of making SQUARER bales than some of the older competitive models.

/ Square baler parts #8  
I had a 336. Good little baler.

/ Square baler parts #9  
My square baler was in storage for the last 12 months due to my job and I’m getting ready to bale. I’ve put in almost 12 hours over the last four days getting it all ready and have final timing and chain tensioning still to do. This is a two year old basically new baler, hasn’t even broken 10k bales yet.

Just curious . . . Why the need to adjust timing and tension chains if it was working ok when you put it up? I'd think you could grease it and lube it up and hit the field.

I know that the last thing I want to do with a small square baler is mess with the timing if it's working properly. Is it because your baler is so new and the initial break-in includes chains stretching more?

Either way, it's my experience that it doesn't take much effort to get a small square baler ready to go to work. As long as it's kept in the dry, chaff and dust blown out, and greased properly you should be able to go to work with just a quick greasing and tire check. (At least that's all my old JD baler seems to need.)

/ Square baler parts
Not surprised your guy didn’t show. He’s probably overextended himself, or has insurmountable equipment repair costs.
Probably not a bad idea to do it yourself.
Hay farming is difficult to make a profit in unless:
1. you are a very large operation.
2. you inherited all the equipment and barns so you have low equipment costs
3. you are a small timer/hobbyist with a full time job or spouse has nice income.

Inflation and high interest rates from the last few years is causing farming operations to go under in numbers this country has never seen.
Profit would be great, but I think the best I can really hope for is to break even and pay for the new used gear, supply my own fodder, and eliminate unnecessary cliping.