Square baler parts

/ Square baler parts
I think JD small sq balers would be a good choice on models 336/346 to present models. Most of the parts on these models are interchangeable & very little has been changed between models so I think parts acquisition if needed won't be a problem. JD small sq balers I'm referring to have only 2 chains to contend with, not multiple chains similar to other brands. JD small sq balers have a long history of making SQUARER bales than some of the older competitive models.
Thanks for the recommendation. My hope is to find a used unit before winter and hopefully have it ready for next year. After the baler ill concentrate on the cutter and rake.

I am handy to have around if I do say so myself and have the tools to do the job and am not afraid to get grease on my hands. At this point to me finding something decent to start on and priced accordingly may be the highest hurdle.

/ Square baler parts #12  
What is your market for hay ? Horses or cows ? Even goats...
That will determine your equipment and hay type. Hay is NOT a generic produce. Dairy farms demand a certain quality. Cattle another quality. Horse people demand quality, form, timing, etc. but they pay a high price. (Sometimes)

Otherwise you're growing stuff and then trying to sell it. A sure street to disappointments

/ Square baler parts #13  
Myself, I prefer New Holland small square bailers and the newer ones are 90% gear drive. Sold my 575 High capacity with the extra sweep pickup, hydraulic bale tension, hydraulic tongue swing and quarter turn bale turner for more than I paid for it, last year on Tractor House, in 3 days. You can get any and all parts for NH bailers from any NH dealer.

/ Square baler parts #14  
Just curious . . . Why the need to adjust timing and tension chains if it was working ok when you put it up? I'd think you could grease it and lube it up and hit the field.

I know that the last thing I want to do with a small square baler is mess with the timing if it's working properly. Is it because your baler is so new and the initial break-in includes chains stretching more?

Either way, it's my experience that it doesn't take much effort to get a small square baler ready to go to work. As long as it's kept in the dry, chaff and dust blown out, and greased properly you should be able to go to work with just a quick greasing and tire check. (At least that's all my old JD baler seems to need.)
Two parts, first I was in the middle of the last cut last year when I got notice I was leaving. Barley had time to get the hay picked up and didn’t do any end of season maint on equipment so it’s all getting special treatment this year. Second, the newness and everything stretching. I had to tune one knotter slightly and polished up the blades but other than that so far haven’t changed anything. Still takes a long time to get all the covers off and at everything.

Last edited:
   / Square baler parts #16  
Two parts, first I was in the middle of the last cut last year when I got notice I was leaving. Barley had time to get the hay picked up and didn’t do any end of season maint on equipment so it’s all getting special treatment this year. Second, the newness and everything stretching. I had to tune one knotted slightly and polished up the blades but other than that so far haven’t changed anything. Still takes a long time to get all the covers off and at everything.

Understood! Thanks.

Last edited:
   / Square baler parts #17  
Profit would be great, but I think the best I can really hope for is to break even and pay for the new used gear, supply my own fodder, and eliminate unnecessary cliping.
Definitely.
Do the hay yourself a while and see how it goes.