Square baler

/ Square baler #11  
Absolutely correct Ed.

/ Square baler #12  
I pull a NH 311 (no kicker) with a Kubota L3710 HST which is 30 pto hp. Does a fine job up, down and across hills.

/ Square baler #13  
You'd be surprised Rich. Besides JD the other brands will go cheaper for the higher hp tractors than the lower hp tractors. Go to the auctions and watch. If you can get by with the higher hp tractors and aren't room poor I can guarantee you it will be cheaper than the lower hp ones. At least around here anyway. The deal around here is the farmers don't want the older higher hp tractors they need newer ones to run all the the new equipment. Your small acreage guy doesn't want a big tractor he wants a smaller tractor to run small implements. So it's the higher hp tractors that sell for way better value for you dollar.

/ Square baler #14  
Rich,
I do a little square baling in the summer and my 4000 with probably around 40-45 has no problem with a massey #12 even on hills within reason. As for cutting we use a disc mower and a cheap tedder if we want to rush things. In the future when I see how things are going I plan on trying a little alfalfa. I will then probably locate a used conditioner. But as for now the disc mower is so problem free I think it will be front line for a while. I do recommend a minimum for the lighter ones around 45hp and 60ish for the heavier weight of the new holland ones especially tthe longer 7ft bars. Just something to think about.

Patrick

/ Square baler #15  
Around here the 50-65 hp tractors are very reasonable. A good clean used Ford will go for half of what a Deere will run...

/ Square baler #16  
Just look for a International 706 or 806. Either of these tractors will do what you want and then some and there are quite a few of them out there and they are good tractors and very cheap hp.

/ Square baler #17  
They do make some compact hay balers designed for small or miniature haying operations - saw one today $16,500 - that is a sh_t load of little hay bales to pay for it. I also picked up a new idea brochure and they have a min pto hp at 35.

I will try to find the url if anyone is interested - I think carver also sells them.

Eric

/ Square baler #18  
Ok tell me this. I saw those little balers. Why do they cost more than a top of the line JD square baler? My new JD square baler only cost $11,500 with all the extras.

/ Square baler #19  
<font color=blue>...Why do they cost more than a top of the line ...</font color=blue>

Specialized market... limited production... priced whatever the market will bear... /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG