Square balers

/ Square balers #11  
New Holland makes the best square balers. Look for a used 273. They are cheap and if maintained they will bale for years and never miss a knot. My Father's is 30 years old and bales like the day it was new after 10,000s of bales.
Huskerfan

/ Square balers #12  
Anyone know anything about the John Deere brand of square balers? Pricing and reliability?

/ Square balers #13  
What do you want to know about them Hillbilly? You can find the older balers for $1000-2500 and then just go up from there for newer ones. I think they're very reliable.

/ Square balers
Richard, I was told that New Holland, and IH balers were easiest to get parts for. Since I'll be getting a used one, how easy is it to get parts for JD balers?

Thanks!!!

/ Square balers #15  
New Holland and Deere are the only valid choices in an older used square baler. The combination of availability of parts, service and product reliability cannot be matched by any other brand.

/ Square balers #16  
Who told you that Rich? Back home and around Iowa you can't even hardly find a dealer for New Holland and IH. On the older stuff Deere usually has it in stock or can get it next day. With regard to the others I have literally had to either loan my baler or go bale for guys because they had to wait significant amounts of time for parts, esp. on the older balers.

/ Square balers #17  
Basically thats it Richard....I have never seen a JD baler in these parts.The majority of them are New Holland and a few older Ford models.I was just wondering who actually made them and if they were reliable or not.
Do you square bale much Richard?
Thanks anyway.

/ Square balers #18  
Where are you at Hillbilly? If there aren't any JD dealers around and there are dealers for IH and NH then I'd probably buy one of those too. The square balers are 100% made right here in Iowa at Ottumwa. I went down and picked mine up and watched them being made.

As far as square bales I'll probably do between 6 and 7 thousand this year.

/ Square balers #19  
Rich,
I am in the Ohio River Valley area....I did not know if JD actually made them or not.....there are JD dealers around,just never talked to them about them. 6 to 7 thousand thats a lot of square bales.Do you round bale any?

/ Square balers #20  
Hillbilly,
We'll hopefully get about 350 round bales put up this year