Square holes

/ Square holes #1  

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
Without one of these, how do you make them, for carriage bolts?

Square Peg Round Hole

Anyone got something better than a square file?

Bruce

/ Square holes #2  
A knock out punch (threaded die and bolt), punch press with square punch/die, CNC mill or a square broach.

/ Square holes #3  
Without one of these, how do you make them, for carriage bolts?

Square Peg Round Hole

Anyone got something better than a square file?

Bruce

While the square hole bit/spindle was very informative and entertaining, I would have to ask why in the world would you use a carriage bolt in metal? carriage bolts are as their name suggest are for bolting together wood, where you drill a round hole and push in the carriage bolt and the square part bites into the edge of the hole and holds the bolt well enough to not need a wrench on the head to tighten the nut. The idea of the carriage bolt is it has a smooth head and does not snag on you or your clothing. Why would you not use a standard hex headed bolt or an allen headed bolt? if you needed something smooth? You can also use a carriage bolt in a round hole by using a small impact to tighten it if you are so inclined. Just curious, again I liked the video.

James K0UA

/ Square holes #4  
Only way I've seen it done was with steel with a piece of square copper stock. They put the stock through a round hole or a worn square hole and then weld/fill in the gaps and built up the area then grind it all flat. Don't know the material your going into or the thickness, but this was on 1/4 inch steel plate with 3/4in. square holes.

/ Square holes #5  
I use a iron worker with punches, drill the hole larger but enough to catch a bit of the square head, hit with a hammer it will not turn when tightening and it pulls its self into the hole

/ Square holes #6  
We use an iron worker at work also.

But simple answer is, there are easy ways and their are cheap ways to do it. But there are NO easy and cheap ways.

K0ua: I hate square headed bolts for steel also, but suprisingly they are used more often than you think. Cutting edges are a quick one that comes to mind. My old mott/alamo flail had them all over the place. Chisel plow shoes have them. As well as numerous places on cars and trucks.

Yes, they do suck when the head spins inside the hole. But sometimes there is just no choice for a MFG than to use one. Like times were it is impossible to get a wrench on the other side.

/ Square holes #7  
I remember when cars had bumpers. They had carriage bolts.

I have my gripes about carriage bolts in wood. They may be great for holding when you are putting the new wood on. But they don't usually hold worth a darn when trying to take them out to replace the wood with new.

/ Square holes #8  
We use an iron worker at work also.

But simple answer is, there are easy ways and their are cheap ways to do it. But there are NO easy and cheap ways.

K0ua: I hate square headed bolts for steel also, but suprisingly they are used more often than you think. Cutting edges are a quick one that comes to mind. My old mott/alamo flail had them all over the place. Chisel plow shoes have them. As well as numerous places on cars and trucks.

Yes, they do suck when the head spins inside the hole. But sometimes there is just no choice for a MFG than to use one. Like times were it is impossible to get a wrench on the other side.

Yeah you are right I forgot about the cutting edges, and plow parts, truck beds..etc..

James K0UA

/ Square holes #9  
I took a bit for my air hammer and ground it a tapered square until I got to the size I needed. From there, I shouldered the bit at the size I needed. I got the work I wanted worked on drilled to the diameter that I wanted, then heated it bright red, almost yellow, then hit it with my air hammer with the bit. You may want to grind the bit slightly larger than the square on the bolt. The metal will shrink a little, so the hole may end up slightly smaller than what you want unless your bit is larger than the squared section of the bolt.

I almost forgot... Make sure you support the work from behind. You'll deform the work if you don't.

Last edited:
   / Square holes #10  
I took a bit for my air hammer and ground it a tapered square until I got to the size I needed. From there, I shouldered the bit at the size I needed. I got the work I wanted worked on drilled to the diameter that I wanted, then heated it bright red, almost yellow, then hit it with my air hammer with the bit. You may want to grind the bit slightly larger than the square on the bolt. The metal will shrink a little, so the hole may end up slightly smaller than what you want unless your bit is larger than the squared section of the bolt.

Sounds good. :thumbsup:

I have a zillion old carriage bolts that I'd liked to have used in lots of applications.