Square holes

/ Square holes #11  
My worst experience with carriage hhead bolts was in 97 my older brother bought an old MF 300 Combine for the tires. I got the remainder and started taking it down for other projects. Most of that things sheet metal was hel on with carriage head bolts 3/16ths to 1/4. Turning the nuts on the rusty bolts would let the square heads round out square holes in the sheet metal. I was saving the grain tank for a feed cart project I was working on at the time.

/ Square holes #12  
I almost forgot... Make sure you support the work from behind. You'll deform the work if you don't.

/ Square holes #13  
drill and file, or drill and square profile punch depending on hole size..

soundguy

/ Square holes #14  
Of course there is the old way of using a forge to heat the iron then punching a square hole with a hammer and punch. The hole can be drifted to ant size you want. I suppose a shortcut would be to heat the steel with a torch and then punch a round hole square.
Check out blacksmithing + square holes. You could even make a square bolt to go with the square hole!

/ Square holes #15  
Anyone got something better than a square file?
I remember the teachers face when someone back at school, asked the metalworking teacher for a square drill...
The teacher really didnt know if this student really was that dumb, or his leg was being pulled... :D:D

/ Square holes #16  
Without one of these, how do you make them, for carriage bolts?

Square Peg Round Hole

Anyone got something better than a square file?

Bruce

Non-circular holes?
In thin sheet metal, use a chassis punch (like the ones used by electricians).
For thicker metal, one of the most used methods is called "broaching". Google that term to learn more than you want to know about this technique.

/ Square holes #17  
Square broaches work quick. McMaster-Carr sells many sizes.

Dan

/ Square holes #18  
I remember the teachers face when someone back at school, asked the metalworking teacher for a square drill...
The teacher really didnt know if this student really was that dumb, or his leg was being pulled... :D:D

The teacher should have been embarrassed for not knowing about Watts drills. It's not like it's anything new...the original patent was applied for back in November 1916 and the patent, #1241176, was granted September 25, 1917 to Harry J. Watts of Turtle Creek, Pennsylvania. (Speaking of Pennsylvania...here's a little Frankie Yankovic music Enjoy! :D )

Here's another video showing making a square hole in a short piece of round stock.

square hole drilling on a lathe with the Vika attachment. - YouTube

Another video showing them drilling a hexagonal hole.

hexagon hole drilling - YouTube