Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders??

/ Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders?? #11  
I have my two outdoor feeders mounted on 6' steel pipes. I have a turn of electric fence tape around them on plastic hangers at about 5'. The squirrels will try to climb it once and will never do it again.

/ Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders?? #12  
We just feed the cats and the birds on the same platform. We never see feathers, so I guess the birds are smart enough to stay away if the cats are there. The squirrels keep their distance, but if we forget to bring in the cat food at dusk the raccoons will show up.

/ Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders?? #13  
I was building a house for someone up in the mountains very near Skyline Drive and found out that the squirrel proof feeders are not bear proof. At least we assumed it was a bear, it could have been was just a beefed up fox squirrel. They get pretty big over here. :D Ed

/ Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders?? #14  
I was building a house for someone up in the mountains very near Skyline Drive and found out that the squirrel proof feeders are not bear proof. At least we assumed it was a bear, it could have been was just a beefed up fox squirrel. They get pretty big over here. :D Ed
We lose 1-2 feeders to bears every year. We run 4 different feeders (10 feet from the door) and have to pull them in at night for a few weeks in the spring.

/ Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders?? #15  
I have one feeder that they are able to get to, but I don't sweat it. They used to raid my tomato plants and carry off the green tomatoes. Between the bird feeder and my big Pecan tree, they haven't bothered my tomatoes in a number of years. I buy sunflower seed in 40 or 50# bags, mix it about 90/10 with chicken scratch. I use a couple bags a year, so other than the aggravation of filling up the feeders, I don't get too upset over the deal.

/ Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders??
This is another feeder that we have that, so far, has been squirrel proof. It was sold by the Audubon Society, but I
don't know if it's still available. I didn't see it on their web site when I checked yesterday.

095057.JPG

We usually take down the bird feeders soon after April 1st. Leaving them out any longer just attracts the bears.
Ask me how I know. My avatar shows one of them that showed up several years ago. After April 1st, the only
feeders we have are hummingbird feeders and a platform feeder well away from the house.

/ Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders?? #17  
These actually work. Guess they SHOULD for the price! We had one for many, many years. Then bought another for a gift for my dad. I inherited it when he passed, so we have two now. Amazon.com : Woodlink Absolute Squirrel Resistant Bird Feeder Model 7533 : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I have that same feeder, sans the windows. I did have to wrap the top of the 4X4 post with flashing to keep the squirrels from climbing up. Turned out good, I used a cobblestone spray paint to match the PT post.

These are great, I suspend them from branches of trees with wire wrapped in green plastic so as to blend in. If you get too close to a tree the squirrels can leap to the ball so it is trial and error. Very entertaining process! Amazon.com : No/No Green Seed Ball Wild Bird Feeder GSB344 : Patio, Lawn & Garden

/ Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders?? #18  
For free-standing feeders:

3' piece of 1/2" rebar driven into the ground. Piece of 1/2" or 3/4" EMT conduit as the pole to mount the feeder on. Get a 2' or 3' section of 4" galvanized rigid heating duct (round) and an end cap to fit it.

Drill hole in the center of the end cap so that it will fit over the conduit. Attach end cap onto duct with screws. Take copper pipe strap hanger and attach it to conduit so that it forms a stop to hold the bottom of the duct/cap assembly a couple of feet off the ground. Slide assembled duct/cap over conduit.

Can use a tee and a cross pole (conduit) to hang two feeders if desired.

Will keep out squirrels and other small animals (possums, coons, etc.) out of feeders and bird houses, assuming there is nothing nearby for them to jump from.

/ Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders?? #20  
But now that the MIL has moved out, and the bird feeders are put up, the squirrel population has normalized, and we don't have a squirrel problem at all any more.:)