Squirrel Trouble Again

/ Squirrel Trouble Again #21  
Well they are just rats with pretty tails:D

The Red squirrels are, and they are the worst.

Had a plague of the **** things at our north field Barn and MIL's house.

Big blob of peanut butter, with Hawk brand Rat poison pellets mixed in, placed on a fence post near the tree line, thinned them out.
Rat Traps in the attic, and barn loft, got a bunch too.

The Rat Bait chunks scattered in the attic didn't even phase them for some reason.
Different poison.

/ Squirrel Trouble Again #22  
We have abundant numbers of Squirrels in our 5 acres of trees. The population flutuates from year to year. Our outside dogs kill all the squirrels and rabbits that go into our fenced in yard. When our Son and I take our inside dog for her two daily runs, we use the golf cart to ride the trails. Out inside dog will chase squirrels and even attempt to climb a tree to get the squirrels. You can't eat a squirrel after a dog gets it. There's not much left, even for Stew.

/ Squirrel Trouble Again #23  
They are good eating and make great pot pies.

First I thought you folks were joking but now I am not so sure ?

If I was to try those I'd better do my cooking and stewing in secret or someone would have me committed lol

I found even cats will seldom eat them, they follow their instincts and will chase and kill but they usually prefer their chow

/ Squirrel Trouble Again #24  
If you had grown up in the country down here you would know that squirrel is good to eat and that is no joke. I have eaten many as have most in my area. It is a shame that your culture keeps you from such good eating.

/ Squirrel Trouble Again #25  
Don't know how y'all can afford .410 shells. Can buy at least three boxes of 12 or 20 gauge for the same price.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Squirrel Trouble Again #26  
They don't bother the vehicles here, as we have plenty of butternut trees to keep them busy. I thin them out every couple years, but like to keep some around to keep the butternuts off the lawn (mower doesn't like them). I use .22 CB's to dispatch them.

I know gray squirrel is edible, but didn't think the red ones were (or at least not as good).

/ Squirrel Trouble Again #27  
If you had grown up in the country down here you would know that squirrel is good to eat and that is no joke. I have eaten many as have most in my area. It is a shame that your culture keeps you from such good eating.

Now my mouth is watering ... I'll have to give it a try.
Maybe on skewers over a campfire?

/ Squirrel Trouble Again #28  
Roll in flour fry in hot cast iron pan, use cracklins to make squirrel gravy for mashed potatoes. Yum:licking::licking:

/ Squirrel Trouble Again #29  
I use to know a POS from Lousiana who's wife bragged about her "Squirrel Brain Gumbo"!!!!
She froze the heads in water until she got enough (cooked the rest of the squirrel) then she parboiled them in a skillet of water. I saw her shuck the little heads. She took out the tongue, jaw mussles and brain and added it to her Gumbo.
NO!! I never tried it!! And he was a POS because he robbed my house while I was at work one day. (the legal system did nothing)

Also had a neighbor from "Down Home" when I lived in Cincinnati who used to shoot the squirrels out of our walnut tree so he could eat them! My dad didn't mind because he always ate them. He didn't have to, he had a good job but he liked them!

/ Squirrel Trouble Again #30  
Now my mouth is watering ... I'll have to give it a try.
Maybe on skewers over a campfire?

Let's just say they're kinda chewy when you cook 'em that way.. stewed or slow cooked is the best way I've heard of.

Sean