Squirrels Attack and Kill Pumpkins

/ Squirrels Attack and Kill Pumpkins #1  

hunterridgefarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130DT, Kubota L185DT, JD LX277
My pumpkins did not do great this year due to the heavy rains. However I was able to get enough to make my wife what was a nice fall display. We had around 40 pumpkins on the display. I am now down to about 10.

First year we have ever had a problem with squirrels eating the pumpkins. But I guess since there are no acorns this year and I put the display under a oak tree they thought they had some big orange acorns:D

Attachments

• IMG-20131116-00063.jpg
    IMG-20131116-00063.jpg
    524 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG-20131116-00064.jpg
    IMG-20131116-00064.jpg
    765 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG-20131116-00065.jpg
    IMG-20131116-00065.jpg
    810.3 KB · Views: 135
   / Squirrels Attack and Kill Pumpkins #2  
Almost looks like raccoon damage, you must have some well fed, fat, aggressive squirrels:laughing: Eat squirrel by chance?:D Just say'in

/ Squirrels Attack and Kill Pumpkins #3  
That does look ambitious for squirrels, but it looks like once they get one open, the seeds are cleaned out. Squirrels love to cache seeds.

Maybe the deer come by for a bite in the wee hours of the morning. :)

/ Squirrels Attack and Kill Pumpkins #4  
I dump the leftover pumpkins (after soups/breads/seeds) behind my shop. The squirrels/chipmunks love them and are fun to watch as they tunnel in and out. I might experiment with trying to keep one off the ground and let them give me new bird house like they do with gourds.

/ Squirrels Attack and Kill Pumpkins
I have squirrels the size of possum:D

Deer may be coming by but I had the game camera up several days and did not get any pictures of the deer. I have seen several squirrels sticking their heads out of the pumpkins.

Within two hours Saturday after I cleaned these up two more pumpkins were eaten and the squirrel was in the oak barking at me when I came around the side of the house.

As far as eating...well my wife will not cook squirrel:D. Growing up I could not wait for squirrel season to come in, I was in the woods everyday.

Seems there are not many people hunting squirrel now may be why there are so many. But I will need to start thinning these out some!

/ Squirrels Attack and Kill Pumpkins #6  
Never heard of squirrels eating pumpkins but guess stranger things have happened. :confused3:

/ Squirrels Attack and Kill Pumpkins #7  
My pumpkins did not do great this year due to the heavy rains. However I was able to get enough to make my wife what was a nice fall display. We had around 40 pumpkins on the display. I am now down to about 10.

First year we have ever had a problem with squirrels eating the pumpkins. But I guess since there are no acorns this year and I put the display under a oak tree they thought they had some big orange acorns:D
That's funny because this is the first year in many that the squirrels did NOT eat our pumpkins and jack O lanterns. Pretty funny to have pumpkins sitting on the stoop, come home and see a 3" hole with a bushy tail sticking out of it. Squirrels love the seeds. Once they find out, its all over pretty quick. Also, get pictures of the squirrels covered in orange slime when they come out. Pretty funny. :laughing:

/ Squirrels Attack and Kill Pumpkins #8  
That's funny because this is the first year in many that the squirrels did NOT eat our pumpkins and jack O lanterns. Pretty funny to have pumpkins sitting on the stoop, come home and see a 3" hole with a bushy tail sticking out of it. Squirrels love the seeds. Once they find out, its all over pretty quick. Also, get pictures of the squirrels covered in orange slime when they come out. Pretty funny. :laughing:

David, its because they're all over at Davids eating his pumpkins!! (OK, that was weird, 2 Davids with past/current squirrel problems:confused3:):laughing:

I took out 9 of those tree rats Friday, they like to chew holes in the siding and forget feeding birds!

/ Squirrels Attack and Kill Pumpkins #10  
LOL ... okay I'm now a believer! :laughing: