SSQA multi use base

/ SSQA multi use base #21  
Thank you. I modeled it after a couple of commercially available ones. With the exception of my movable hook instead of one permanently welded to the end. I think the tractor will give up before the boom pole does.

/ SSQA multi use base
I’ve been thinking of building one also. Do you mind giving some details about some measurements and materials.

/ SSQA multi use base #23  
Thank you. I modeled it after a couple of commercially available ones. With the exception of my movable hook instead of one permanently welded to the end. I think the tractor will give up before the boom pole does.

You could set a few trusses with that setup.

/ SSQA multi use base
My thoughts exactly. That’s why I’ve been thinking about building one. I’m building a shop next summer

/ SSQA multi use base #25  
Just for ideas, here's one I built about 12 years ago, only because I found a looong cyl. for cheap and had to find a home for it.:D
camp shelter 005.jpg

Makes a good artificial tree for a rope swing also. :laughing:

IMG_0018.jpg

/ SSQA multi use base #27  
I’ve been thinking of building one also. Do you mind giving some details about some measurements and materials.

Certainly. It's 7 feet long. 1 1/2 x 3 I believe for the pole.
1 1/2 sq tubing for the braces. I'm going from memory of a couple years ago. I can get more definite measurements if you would like.

Jay

/ SSQA multi use base
Certainly. It's 7 feet long. 1 1/2 x 3 I believe for the pole.
1 1/2 sq tubing for the braces. I'm going from memory of a couple years ago. I can get more definite measurements if you would like.

Jay

I was mostly looking for the size of the material. This will do. Thanks

/ SSQA multi use base
I did some figuring today and come to the conclusion that I am going to go with a 2 inch bore x 8 inch stroke cylinder for the grapple on my bucket. This will give me a 36 inch opening when the cylinder is completely retracted. According to the manual my tractors hydraulic system has 2200 psi pressure. This gives me 6908 pound force That the cylinder is putting out. Now that I know the force the cylinder is putting out, How do I figure out what my clamping force is at the end of the bucket. Is there some sort of formula for mechanical advantage for this

Last edited:
   / SSQA multi use base #30  
Stomper, there is a formula, and the result is a variable graph, but it won't be necessary to do that for approximate force calculations. What your designing is considered a third class lever, with a velocity ratio. For a somewhat accurate force applied after the mechanical disadvantage, use distance from *grapple pivot pin* to the *hyd. cyl. pin* that pushes on the grapple. (let's say 6" for this example) You state to expect 6908# push at that pin, so, at same distance (6") measured from grapple pivot pin toward end of grapple, that force would be the SAME (excluding frictional losses). Now, (assume grapple is 24"), measuring out 6" = 6908#, 12" out = 3454#, 18" out = 1727#, and lastly at 24" at the tip of grapple = 863#. Your definitely not going to be "pinching" stumps in two, or cracking rocks with 863#'s of force, lol, but sure enough will crush old limbs and branches in two if they are caught nearer the middle of grapple at 3454#'s. Think the best analogy (albeit reversed) to lever vs. force is picture torque wrench, one foot long, would take 100# pull on the handle to get 100# torque. Likewise, a TWO foot torque wrench would only need 50# pull on the handle to get the *same* 100# torque on bolt, and so on and on with 3' wrench etc. Torque wrench GAINS power with length, but grapple LOSES power the further away from pivot pin. I have designed and built several hydraulic excavator thumbs, bucket grapples, and dump gate latches over the years. It can be very disappointing to build something without a solid design, only to find your efforts wasted because it is not strong enough, or worst yet, TOO strong and breaks equipment. I commend your undertaking the task to research it fully, you won't regret it!