Stability of the B series vs the L series?????

/ Stability of the B series vs the L series????? #21  
20190530_104904.jpg

You can see the width difference in between these two. My dad will fly around like a mad man on take on any hill, I have to be a whole lot more cautious.

/ Stability of the B series vs the L series?????
Okay, I'm starting to like the idea of putting spacers on my B2910. What are the drawbacks? How much added stress do they put on the rear differential?

/ Stability of the B series vs the L series????? #23  
Only drawbacks I know of are cost (ain't cheap) & possible interference with other things (like a MMM). I've heard people on TBN theorize all sorts of terrible things about extra stress on the rear ends, etc. Strictly speculation. Never ever heard of an actual problem with a tractor caused by spacers.

/ Stability of the B series vs the L series????? #24  
The knowing when it's past the degrees of tipping could get you hurt. If the ground was level as pavement that would help but very little ground is that smooth. The unseen hole or unseen rock/tree limb would get you every time. They are what scare me when one side starts rising on the high side or a drop on the low side from and old rotted below the ground level stump or dislodged rock. I try to go up or down and get to my more level spots to make turns.
Tip for newer owners: Wet grass is worse than snow going down hill and gravel in two wheel drive can make the tractor gain speed as it slides down hill (Keep it in 4wd when not on pavement or all level ground).
My ATV and RTVs will also run circles around my tractor but they are not mowing. I like a rear finish mower much more than a belly mower on a tractor and they are usually cheaper, just need more planning for space to turn. Also RFM are much easier for maintenance if it's ever needed.
When my zero turn front wheels drops back down to the ground on the front as I crest a steep hill also scares me and the lose of control of the Z going down steep hills is also scary and why I also have the 4wd F mower which is super stable and controlable.
My inclinometer is still new on the shelf & never installed for this very reason. If you go slow (at least on a L) you will wuss out before your tractor will. It's when you aren't going slow & the unexpected happens that problems occur.

/ Stability of the B series vs the L series????? #25  
My inclinometer is still new on the shelf & never installed for this very reason. If you go slow (at least on a L) you will wuss out before your tractor will. It's when you aren't going slow & the unexpected happens that problems occur.

the unexpected happens that problems occur:laughing::laughing::laughing: I guess if you expected it there would rarely ever be any accidents. I fell off of a damaged 8' step ladder recently and my brother told me I should have come got him to come help me. I told him if I had known I was going to fall off the ladder I wouldn't have tackled building a 48'x9' shed roof on the side of my barn by myself while everyone was gone for a couple of days.
It's that unexpected that often times causes the problems and that wuss out thing doesn't seem real valid either or no one would be rolling over tractors. It's that "just about finished and only lack just a bit more to be finished and I've driven here before and never had a real problem" that gets some of us.
When I was building my house I'd pack my tools up when I started getting tired and my brother was my helper and a do it till you drop and let's just finish kind of guy. I told him I had enough energy left to get packed and drive home and I started getting careless when I get tired and working high up with nail guns and heavy lumber isn't something to get careless with. It aggravated him but I finished building my home alive and with no major injuries to me or him or my wife helper 16 years ago.
Slow also isn't enough because I laid one on its side and wasn't even moving.
Just be careful and expect the worst so one can be somewhat prepared.

/ Stability of the B series vs the L series????? #26  
the unexpected happens that problems occur:laughing::laughing::laughing: I guess if you expected it there would rarely ever be any accidents. I fell off of a damaged 8' step ladder recently and my brother told me I should have come got him to come help me. I told him if I had known I was going to fall off the ladder I wouldn't have tackled building a 48'x9' shed roof on the side of my barn by myself while everyone was gone for a couple of days.
It's that unexpected that often times causes the problems and that wuss out thing doesn't seem real valid either or no one would be rolling over tractors. It's that "just about finished and only lack just a bit more to be finished and I've driven here before and never had a real problem" that gets some of us.
When I was building my house I'd pack my tools up when I started getting tired and my brother was my helper and a do it till you drop and let's just finish kind of guy. I told him I had enough energy left to get packed and drive home and I started getting careless when I get tired and working high up with nail guns and heavy lumber isn't something to get careless with. It aggravated him but I finished building my home alive and with no major injuries to me or him or my wife helper 16 years ago.
Slow also isn't enough because I laid one on its side and wasn't even moving.
Just be careful and expect the worst so one can be somewhat prepared.

Now you have to share the story how you laid one on its side without moving.

Newton's first law.

/ Stability of the B series vs the L series????? #27  
We, my wife and I, used a B20 with rear finish mower for over twenty years till an injector failed and seriously hurt the engine. While down tried various other type mowing machines including a L3830 for a couple of years. Bigger, more power but not near as maneuverable for all the mowing we attempt. Lots of hilly ground, trees, orchard, blueberry patch and buildings. After several mishaps and poor mowing, bought a 50hour used B26. Added 2” rear spacers and ballast. Nice upgrade and safe. Gives us a good feeling we can maintain our place in our golden years hopefully for many decades to come.
The 55” dual lid wicked grapple is almost too much fun for picking up limbs, rocks and brush to keep our mowing areas clear.

/ Stability of the B series vs the L series????? #28  
One thing that many people confuse is the actual stability/tippiness of the tractor versus the perceived tippiness of the tractor by the operator. Some people can稚 tolerate any feeling of leaning that you get driving across a hill and others aren稚 bothered. Also, the higher you sit on a tractor, the more sway you are going to feel going across a hill. I am not saying that some tractors are not more unstable than others, but that a lot of it is a personal perception of how it feels.

/ Stability of the B series vs the L series?????
Your property sounds very similar to what I'm dealing with. I have a lot of trees to deal with, erosion channels, ruts, armadillo holes, 3' hills and 3' dips, etc. Do you like your B26 with spacers better than the L3830? Also, what brand of spacers did you go with? I'm thinking spacers and liquid ballast might be in my near future.

/ Stability of the B series vs the L series????? #30  
Now you have to share the story how you laid one on its side without moving.

Newton's first law.
I was beside my garage and the bank came down near the drive way and then dropped steeper to the drive/. I pulled up and curled bucket to back up and peel the edge down to a slope. I pushed down on the bucket and the tractor just laid down on its side as I'm wondering what just happened in that fraction of a second.I later determined that I had more nothing under one side of the bucket than I had dirt under the other side thus the pressure down pushed the high side higher which made it past the point of being able to keep it on the ground on the 4 wheels and there I was laying on my side.

One thing that many people confuse is the actual stability/tippiness of the tractor versus the perceived tippiness of the tractor by the operator. Some people can稚 tolerate any feeling of leaning that you get driving across a hill and others aren稚 bothered. Also, the higher you sit on a tractor, the more sway you are going to feel going across a hill. I am not saying that some tractors are not more unstable than others, but that a lot of it is a personal perception of how it feels.
I believe and know this feeling. When I went from a B7800 to a Grand L3240 I was scared every time I crossed my hill(s) in the L and soon, very soon went back to Barlows and traded it to a B3200. My brain considered weight and stability but my mind listened to my butt which was a lot higher or seemed a lot higher off the ground. The discomfort was not worth it and so I departed the L world for several years and am now back to it but still butt pucker crossing the hills.