Stanadyne ??? Afters Years of Use Has Let Me Down

/ Stanadyne ??? Afters Years of Use Has Let Me Down #31  
If you want to get more lube in your Kero or diesel, do what we always did in Alaska, we added 2 stroke oil to the fuel...

Aprox 1 qt per 50 gallons, and then you can run straight kero/2 stroke without pump lube worries...

I'm still running premium diesel from my fav station WITHOUT any additives, in all of my diesels and I've not had any gelling AND it's been going below 0F here, quite a bit...

gg, if you are worried about your fuel, put some in a qt jar and put it in your freezer over night, and see if it gells...

I did that fairly often in Alaska, to check my fuel when I took a delivery...

SR

/ Stanadyne ??? Afters Years of Use Has Let Me Down
gg, if you are worried about your fuel, put some in a qt jar and put it in your freezer over night, and see if it gells...

SR

It would be fine in the freezer. Outdoors is the problem............ :D

gg

/ Stanadyne ??? Afters Years of Use Has Let Me Down #34  
If you want to get more lube in your Kero or diesel, do what we always did in Alaska, we added 2 stroke oil to the fuel...

Aprox 1 qt per 50 gallons, and then you can run straight kero/2 stroke without pump lube worries...

I'm still running premium diesel from my fav station WITHOUT any additives, in all of my diesels and I've not had any gelling AND it's been going below 0F here, quite a bit...

I did that fairly often in Alaska, to check my fuel when I took a delivery...

SR

Tom, your station is likely selling you a blended diesel 2 with diesel 1. Hands down this three page PDF is worth reading for anybody in the snow-belt. http://www.todaystrucking.com/images/SolvingWinterDieselProblems91-1R2.pdf

/ Stanadyne ??? Afters Years of Use Has Let Me Down #36  
I get FedEx and UPS 5 days a week and I live 166 miles from Anchorage. Amazon Prime was great for a couple of years, but now...not so much. There seem to be more items they will not ship than ones they will.

They do stupid things as well. For example this is aczlan's link to Amazon
Amazon.com: Opti-Lube Winter Formula Diesel Fuel Additive: 1 Gallon without Accessories Treats up to 512 Gallons: Automotive
1 gallon of opt-lube winter sold by Opti-Lube for $55 with free Prime shipping

When I searched Amazon this is what I came up with.
Amazon.com: Opti-Lube Winter Formula Diesel Fuel Additive: 1 Gallon without Accessories Treats up to 512 Gallons: Automotive
1 gallon of Opti-Lube winter sold by Opti-Lube for $51.80 + $15.63 shipping

Only after a little digging do you find that the top one is fulfilled by Amazon. I tried several times and half of the time I got the free shipping version and the other the more expensive version. Doesn't seam to be any rhyme or reason to it.

/ Stanadyne ??? Afters Years of Use Has Let Me Down #38  
And that's the problem, lol. It's one of those things I don't think about until I need it. When I need it I just want to grab it off a shelf and be done with it. How are they on shipping? I really hate to buy something that'll cost as much (if not more) to ship. Usually all I use is one smaller bottle of PS per year. 1 gallon (depending on the ratio) could last me years.

Just went to their site and it's $20 to ship one $15 quart size bottle and $25 for a $50 1 gallon jug. No dealers close by so my choice is to buy a quart of PS for about $7 which I can get anywhere around me or $35 for a quart / $70 for a gallon of Opti-Lube. If they would get some dealers close by I would most likely use it.
Well if a gallon will last for years your obviously not a major consumer. The primary reason I was drinking The Opti Lube kool-aid was my VW TDI, now that they are taking the VW from me I'll go back to PS. From what I've read my other fuel pumps are not as sensitive to scarring.

/ Stanadyne ??? Afters Years of Use Has Let Me Down
It's been so cold I haven't even tried to mess with my gelled fuel problem. This morning was 3* F above and it got up to 15* by noon. Figured this was my best chance. Snow tomorrow then back to 25 below for the weekend. I just followed the directions on the 911 Power Service bottle except I put it in the tank yesterday and let it sit for a day. Today I did the filter thing, made a little tent over the tractor, and ran my salamander heater a couple hours for extra insurance. It started just like it was summer - I never thought clear fuel could be so beautiful. I won't let this happen again. Once is enough. I will never use month old fuel in December again.

Now I am a Power Service fan !!!

PwrServcie911.JPG

gg

Last edited:
   / Stanadyne ??? Afters Years of Use Has Let Me Down #40  
Glad it worked. Kudos. I made sure I picked up some Power Service while at NAPA the other day. Certainly don't want my fuel gelling. I usually just run #1 heating oil in the plow truck with some diesel treatment for lubricity since it never leaves the property.