Stanley lawn tractor

/ Stanley lawn tractor #11  
Considering everything you want to do, it sounds like your a prime candidate for a BX. If you don't want to dump that kind of money right now, and are looking at a department store mower, why don't you look at Kubota's lawn tractors? You can get a 3cyl Diesel 54" TG1860 for around $5500. (I think) It would definitly be up to the task of mowing grass, and still have good resale when you decide to get a sub-compact.
My task is strictly cutting grass. I looked at the TG1860, G2160, BXs, and ZDs. I ended up with a ZD21, but would have been equally happy with a G or TG. They are built like Mack Trucks. :)

Hope this helps.

-Ben

/ Stanley lawn tractor #12  
Hi TBN,

wonna buy a tractor with a Tecumseh engine? Sorry, but You must be silly. Keep away from this Junk. In Germany, where I'm from you got the same engines called Fiat-Tecumseh, also the greatest s... I've ever seen. Other way: Why sells Wal-Mart the tractor so cheap? The price at the Satnley website is appr. 2400$, with a Stanley engine, maybe a Tecumseh, too.
It's very simple: They have no repair shop. If There is anything at the machine You have to take it there, and with a little luck, You get it back in 2 or 3 weeks, and that happens most times when You need the machine urgently.
My opinion: Invest a little more money in a used compact with a 22 HP Diesel engine. You must see it this way: with a lawn tractor You can mow the lawn, maybe use it against the snow with a shield, and that is all You can do with it. Tilling? forget it! A loader? impossible. OK, You don't need this attachments in the moment. But maybe there comes the time for it, You want to sell Your tractor. You loose too much money, more as You save when You buy it. If this kind of mowing is only what You wonna do, go to a shop which will also do the service, and please, look for a tractor with a B&S
or Kohler engine.
Bernhard, Derichsweiler, Rheinland(Germany)

/ Stanley lawn tractor #13  
Well, I guess I'll chime in too. My father in law mowed 3 acres for 12 years with a Dynamark with the Tecumseh engine before giving it to me. I mowed 1.5 acres with it for another 2 years. It drank a quart of oil per mowing but kept on running.

No one works on their store brand mowers, Kmart, Wal Mart, Sears Lowes you name it. This is contracted to local repair shops. The mower my FIL replaced the Dynamark with had a B&S Quantum engine that was always in the shop.

As to cost, if you have $5000 to spend on used equipment fine, but your yard needs mowed and if all you can afford is $1600, find out who does the service work and ask them about the engine. Sometimes it cames down to economics.

8-72214-signature.jpg

/ Stanley lawn tractor #14  
You say that your land is flat. That is a plus for a lower end tractor. Not as hard on the engine or transmission. If you don't abuse the low end tractors, ie; cutting the grass when it is 6 inches high, hitting rocks, stumps etc. pushing wet snow that is 12 inches high, most will last a long time. I am partial to B & S engines tho. Would also consider a Kohler. A few things to look for is grease fittings on the deck & on the wheel bearings. Also, the gauge of the deck. The really cheap end mowers will sacrifice the deck & frame of the tractor & put more money in the engine. Doesn't do alot of good if your tractor still runs good but has fallen apart. I really don't think, if you are just mowing flat ground & pushing a little bit of snow off of the flat drive, that you have to spend the big bucks. Now if money wasn't an issue ....