Star Members and the Wizard of Oz

/ Star Members and the Wizard of Oz #21  
If you get down to the technical side of things, the # of posts in your profile is the number of total posts you have entered to this current version of the forum, not how many of the total posts currently are by you. The top 20 members in terms of # of posts on the forum currently will come to about 50-55%... and the other 45-50% are made by a very large group... so I don't consider this a private conversation by any means, or anywhere near that.

<font color=blue>Muhammad, as long as we are going to have titles, I urge you to make them consistent...</font color=blue>

Out of 1339 members, less than a dozen have titles that do not correspond with the number of posts they have entered. That includes me.

<font color=blue>We now have people with the same number of posts with different titles, and vice versa.</font color=blue>

Yes, I know... sometimes this will happen. Currently there are a few that I will change soon that are titled based on the old system that required fewer posts to earn a higher title.

<font color=blue>No one "earned" these titles; they are just a device you are using, by arbitrary fiat, to denote post-count contribution, and you should change them and adjust the titles accordingly.</font color=blue>

While the majority of members earn their titles based on the number of posts they enter, other titles, higher or lower than the total number of posts that they have, can in fact be earned for various reasons.

I agree that those who earned a title based on the old title system should be adjusted to be consistent. But like I said above… there are very few members in this category… it is not like half of our members are incorrectly titled. It is probably 5 or 6 that would be changed.

<font color=blue> I also think you MUST have a special title for 1000 posts</font color=blue>

We could make Veteran Member a 1000 post title, and raise the bar for the others as well, but I really don’t think adding more titles is something we want to do, especially since we just removed two from the ‘earn by posting’ system.

<font color=blue> Perhaps you could use Star Member to designate 1000. 2000 could be a Two Star Member, etc.--like army generals.</font color=blue>

Not a bad idea – but those would be titles that are awarded like star member is currently – on an individual bases… since I really don’t think a user should be able to post that many messages without getting enough of my attention for me to award them with ‘Star Member’.

<font color=blue> Finally, I think we should have searchable profiles</font color=blue>

That is something I will look into…

msig.gif

/ Star Members and the Wizard of Oz #22  
Speaking of the profile, one thing I would like to see is something that would indicate how amenable a member is to accepting e mail or private messages. Some may not want any. Some may want to limit it to only tractor subjects. Some may love it, and want any and all they can get on any subject under the sun. I might be alone here, because the subject seldom if ever comes up.
ErnieB

/ Star Members and the Wizard of Oz #23  
Yes, I forgot to mention that /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif ... the titles are for fun, and to give recognition to users who have spent the time and energy to contribute x number of posts. This is a tried and proven method on the web and I am pleased with the way it has worked here.

As for the number of posts... if the titles do encourage that, then so be it, as long as the content is appropriate... which I think it has been through 16,600+ posts in the past six months. But without the titles, in the past, we had quite a few posts on the forum... as some of you might remember. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

msig.gif

/ Star Members and the Wizard of Oz #24  
Ok, I'll think about something for that, too. But you can already set your profile to not accept private messages, and to keep your real e-mail address hidden. So, you can register and not get any private communication from other members. So I think we kind of have this covered already, but if you guys think something else is needed, please let me know.

msig.gif

/ Star Members and the Wizard of Oz #25  
ErnieB, not a bad idea, but I agree with Muhammad in that I think the current member profile takes care of that. I like the idea of the personal messages within the forum and have used it. As for the private e-mail, I've never seen a need, nor have I tried, to either encourage or discourage it for myself. I do get a number of private e-mail messages from forum members, some with questions, some for other reasons, but not too many and I do respond to all of them.

Bird

/ Star Members and the Wizard of Oz #26  
Bird - Over 1800 posts???!!!??? Good grief! What a big-mouth! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif (Of all the people on this board I consider myself to be the most qualified to say that and assume everyone immediately realizes it's completely sarcastic...)

MarkC

/ Star Members and the Wizard of Oz #27  
Muhammad - As a matter of fact, I do remember how "fast and furious" the posting frequently was on the previous board. And I see very few "meaningless posts", personally. Even the "Ditto" ones are almost always in places where it's important that the original poster of the question know that others agree with someone else's answer. In a safety related matter, for example, if one person answers a question and everyone else who looks at the thread simply chooses not to post because they agree with the lone responder, the person asking the question may get the idea that they got one person's opinion and everybody else doesn't care enough to say anything. No, on the whole, I think things are working exactly as they should be. Except for Bird having so many more posts than me, of course. I don't know when that happened. It must've been when I had heat-stroke. I'm going to have to through in a bunch of "Ditto" messages. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

MarkC

/ Star Members and the Wizard of Oz #28  
Ditto. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

MarkC

/ Star Members and the Wizard of Oz #29  
Ditto, Mark... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif I'm playing catch-up to Bird, too... and didn't I have like a 75-message head start on you two? Jeez... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

msig.gif

/ Star Members and the Wizard of Oz #30  
Mark, I'd certainly never question your qualifications./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird