Starlink

/ Starlink #4,011  
We do stream videos on hughes net about 95% of the time it streams fine.

Not promoting it at all but is what we have and don't need a 600 dollar up front fee to change.

We have never had better speed anywhere we lived prior to moving here in 2008. Always rural, don't mean suburbs or outskirts. but 3 miles of mud road rural and another 20 to say a walmart type of store.

So although outdated in the speed department we can keep abreast of current events and personal communications. And has provided high speed internet where there was zero in the past. We can not even get an old fashioned land line phone. The local system was abandoned.

We also have a a radio station and both of us are licensed amateur radio operators. The cost of that is about 10% at most of our internet provider. Nice thing about radio is it doesn't need any relays to work. Direct point to point traffic, when God is willing.

/ Starlink #4,012  
We do stream videos on hughes net about 95% of the time it streams fine.

Not promoting it at all but is what we have and don't need a 600 dollar up front fee to change.

We have never had better speed anywhere we lived prior to moving here in 2008. Always rural, don't mean suburbs or outskirts. but 3 miles of mud road rural and another 20 to say a walmart type of store.

So although outdated in the speed department we can keep abreast of current events and personal communications. And has provided high speed internet where there was zero in the past. We can not even get an old fashioned land line phone. The local system was abandoned.

We also have a a radio station and both of us are licensed amateur radio operators. The cost of that is about 10% at most of our internet provider. Nice thing about radio is it doesn't need any relays to work. Direct point to point traffic, when God is willing.
As long as you're happy with the service, that's what matters I guess. What's your download speed and latency normally and how much is it per month?

/ Starlink #4,015  
Hughes Net Gen 5
Latency is about 700ms, am I happy with it, not really but it does work, Cost with fees is about 90 a month.

Going further OT,
Is anyone else using Pi-hole file blocker
1704318291299.png

It is really sick at all the files websites and even the operating system allow through.

/ Starlink #4,016  
+1 on Pi-hole. It is really great, and easy to implement.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #4,017  
Same experience - After they claimed I needed a new $400 dish I quit. It took an act of congress to cancel my subscription. 15 yrs later I still receive their promos in the mail.
Same experience I had with Sirius/XM. Thankfully I refused to give them a credit card # from day one and only paid by check annually. Each annual renewal it was a fight to keep them from nearly doubling my subscription fee of $99/yr to around $200. (Tip: threaten to cancel and they will let you ‘keep’ the lower introductory rate)

/ Starlink #4,018  
Hughes Net Gen 5
Latency is about 700ms, am I happy with it, not really but it does work, Cost with fees is about 90 a month.

Going further OT,
Is anyone else using Pi-hole file blocker
View attachment 842272

It is really sick at all the files websites and even the operating system allow through.
its a DNS blocker, boy your list is pretty large, sometimes it breaks webpages, but I have been using it for about 5-6 years, although sites have gotten smarter it doesn't work as well as it used to on mobile.

/ Starlink #4,019  
Two days ago we had a mix of freezing rain, sleet and snow , not much accumulation but we lost Starlink reception for a while. Heater was on but apparently it did not do its job, I got a broom and swept off about 1 inch of slush then it started working ok. Sent problem to Starlink they replied there was a software problem for a while. Did anyone else have such a problem?

/ Starlink #4,020  
Two days ago we had a mix of freezing rain, sleet and snow , not much accumulation but we lost Starlink reception for a while. Heater was on but apparently it did not do its job, I got a broom and swept off about 1 inch of slush then it started working ok. Sent problem to Starlink they replied there was a software problem for a while. Did anyone else have such a problem?

For us, I have found that the auto heater is often a little slow on melting things, so I have made a mental note to be proactive at getting it on before the snow/sleet starts.

We are also dealing with some intermittent latency /slowdown that I haven't been able to find/fix. We did lose the Starlink to internet link (I.e. Dishy OK, Satellite Ok, ground station not OK) for about thirty seconds yesterday, which seems to have been a one off.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited: