Starlink

/ Starlink #2,471  
   / Starlink #2,472  
I just got the RV email today. The previous email said mid 2022 for my setup, however I looked at the Starlink map and it's showing 2023. I don't see that anywhere around me has service. I'd have to drive 2 hours to get to the nearest cell so that RV configuration doesn't seem to be a solution for me.

/ Starlink #2,473  
I just got the RV email today. The previous email said mid 2022 for my setup, however I looked at the Starlink map and it's showing 2023. I don't see that anywhere around me has service. I'd have to drive 2 hours to get to the nearest cell so that RV configuration doesn't seem to be a solution for me.
The RV plan specifically says it can be used anywhere, even in a 'full' cell. It's just that your service on an RV plan is subject to being throttled if 'regular' users' traffic takes up the capacity of the cell you're in at the time. It says you can order it from a service address in a cell that does not currently have availability for the standard offering.

/ Starlink #2,474  
   / Starlink #2,475  
I am glad it's first use is in corporation with USA military.
I'm wondering when SpaceX will expand from a comms provider to a more robust service provider?

Suppose SpaceX had an orbiting email server (or several) along with lots of onboard data storage. Starlink users in all nations could have email accounts and access without ever going through a single node of their host nation's ground based internet infrastructure. Everything would be aloft and self contained inside the SpaceX equipment. The consumer revenue potential for such add-on services is huge, and it could expand far beyond just email.

Not just the Chinese, but every host government could become nervous about that. NSA, FBI, Google, Microsoft, Apple, and more have become used to snooping on ground based internet traffic. SpaceX could entirely upend that.

Maybe it's already in place-- but we just don't know about it yet?

/ Starlink #2,476  
I'm wondering when SpaceX will expand from a comms provider to a more robust service provider?

Suppose SpaceX had an orbiting email server (or several) along with lots of onboard data storage. Starlink users in all nations could have email accounts and access without ever going through a single node of their host nation's ground based internet infrastructure. Everything would be aloft and self contained inside the SpaceX equipment. The consumer revenue potential for such add-on services is huge, and it could expand far beyond just email.

Not just the Chinese, but every host government could become nervous about that. NSA, FBI, Google, Microsoft, Apple, and more have become used to snooping on ground based internet traffic. SpaceX could entirely upend that.

Maybe it's already in place-- but we just don't know about it yet?
With the laser link capability that is in the latest StarLink satellites, the ability to get the traffic to earth where Starlink wants/needs too is part of the plan. Will this be used to provide secure communication in totalitarian states? I sure do not know. One problem would be getting Dishy into those countries. I have read that had access to non Iranian TV sources is illegal yet, plenty of people have satellite dishes hidden on the roof.

Flip side, I read a report early in Putin's War that most of the top 10 cell phone applications provide secure communication like VPN and secure text. Apparently, two Russian brothers created a secure text application and had to leave Russia years ago because the powers that be did not like the application. So, there is at least some methods to get banned information into totalitarian states.

/ Starlink #2,477  
With the laser link capability that is in the latest StarLink satellites, the ability to get the traffic to earth where Starlink wants/needs too is part of the plan. Will this be used to provide secure communication in totalitarian states? I sure do not know. One problem would be getting Dishy into those countries. I have read that had access to non Iranian TV sources is illegal yet, plenty of people have satellite dishes hidden on the roof.

Flip side, I read a report early in Putin's War that most of the top 10 cell phone applications provide secure communication like VPN and secure text. Apparently, two Russian brothers created a secure text application and had to leave Russia years ago because the powers that be did not like the application. So, there is at least some methods to get banned information into totalitarian states.
In any totalitarian regime there will be ways that information gets in and those willing to take the risk.

Heck in Korea people in the South often launch simple helium balloons at the boarder carrying thumb drives loaded with information into the North.

/ Starlink #2,478  
Had an oddity last weekend that I suspect might be related to Starlink. Not positive though, it is puzzling.

I took some drone photos of the neighbor property. I sent the photos to him using yahoo email. He never received them. However, it appeared normal when I sent it, and the "sent" email is in my sent folder.

I looked at a nearby property for sale. Later, I received an email link to the "showing service" site. I clicked the link, got onto the showing service site, and it asked for feedback and impressions about the showing. I wrote a few paragraphs, clicked Done, and closed it up. Today, the broker on the other end said she never got any feedback from me.

Finally, a vendor sent me a proposal via gmail. I replied with some questions-- same thing, he never got my reply.

Three different software applications, but three instances of something like delivery failure. All happening last weekend. (I was using Starlink.) I'm not sure what to make of it-- never had anything even close to this happen before.

/ Starlink #2,479  
I have Hughes net and have had similar occurrences happen, although not as frequently as you experienced. With Verizon, I had a neighbor send me a text message and 3 days later I was visiting with them when I received the txt. I'm curious as to where these are going too, but will probably never know. If it's important, I'll verify with a phone call.

/ Starlink #2,480  
One of my sons friends has the rv starlink. He is in an area, a couple of miles west of Danville KY, that shows unavailable.
He sent my son this speed test.

IMG_5119.JPG

Its about time for the gonna be another year before we get to ya email.

The map does show progress so we wait and hope.