Starter Help on a Ford 1900

/ Starter Help on a Ford 1900 #1  

Train

Silver Member
First some history. I have a Ford 1900 tractor that I've owned for about 20 years. Every now and then when you turned the key, it would just click. You'd try several more times and it would go. Sometimes, it would be stubborn and not go at all. At some point, I don't know why, but it tried pulling on the fan belt a bit to move the engine a bit. Then, she would go. Yesterday, same thing, but she wouldn't go no how. So after checking voltage at several points and all seemed okay, I pulled the starter and took it into the shop. Hooked up power and all I got was clicking. Finally, it went. Put it back on the tractor and while I was hooking the power from the ignition switch to the solenoid, the dam tab broke off. Have to say not much holding it on. At that point I thought I'd try to jump it between the two terminals on the starter, bypassing the solenoid. I get nothing. Not even a spark when touching the two together. So to me, this means the starter is the problem. Does that sound right?
And by the way, the battery is fully charged.

Not looking forward to finding a starter for this in my area. Trying to find a rear wheel rim for it a couple months back was a nightmare. In any case I'll have to find a solenoid, as there does seem to be any fix for the tab.

/ Starter Help on a Ford 1900 #2  
Probably your right, however a bad battery cable could also give those results. Connect volt meter at starter then try the short across. If the voltage doesn't drop it's the starter. Take it to local electric shop or check with CNH dealer I'm pretty sure they could get that. Mechanical parts are usually easier to get than tin. Of course check internet.

/ Starter Help on a Ford 1900 #3  
good morning train you say the tab on solenoid broke off the starter you have are you talking the tab on solenoid this would be switch wire small tab using a screw or spade from tractor to hook up is this correct also let us know where you are located can put you in touch with supplier with the solenoid. also you may already know but this tractor was made for ford in japan that is some of the problem with parts but starter and parts are avaiable

/ Starter Help on a Ford 1900
Yes Mitch, that's the tab. But I don't think the solenoid was ever the problem because you could always here it click, it just wouldn't turn. I'm in Southern Alberta Canada. I called the dealer today and was told it was over 600 Canadian, but it didn't matter because there weren't any available in Canada or the U.S. See what I deal with in my area. I went down to the local salvage place and they can get me one in but it's still just over $600 Canadian. Of course that's new, not a rebuild. I'll keep looking.

/ Starter Help on a Ford 1900 #5  
Is there a shop around you that rebuilds starters. That's what I do with the weird or expensive starters we have on some of our equipment.

We had one but it was apparently bought out and it's a mystery as to who bought it. I'll track it down somehow.

/ Starter Help on a Ford 1900 #7  
goog morning train if you would google the following starter solenoid for 1900 you will find several companies that have this in stock with product selling for about $30.00 us dollars most of them will ship to canada i have dealt with most of these companies and will deal with them in the future you may have to contact them about shipping to you. i have found out shipping to canada is best done by fedex very good rates and very quick delivery time if you need any more information just post here. good luck

Thank you Mitch. I'll check into it.