Starter/Solenoid question

/ Starter/Solenoid question #1  

slefebvre

Tractor
Mahindra 4035
Let me start by saying I’m not a mechanic and very much a novice at this.

I have a Mahindra 4035 that won’t start. I pretty much narrowed it down to the solenoid.

Here’s my question…it looks like I have to remove the entire starter to remove the solenoid. Is this correct?

If I remove the started is there a gasket there that will also need to be replace?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Steve

/ Starter/Solenoid question #2  
If you're not a mechanic and a novice at repair perhaps you should start by telling what you've done to narrow it down to the solenoid. There are other potential reasons the starter may not energize. Having a voltmeter on hand is a great way to begin tracking down the problem. It could be something as simple as a dirty or loose battery connection.

/ Starter/Solenoid question
If you're not a mechanic and a novice at repair perhaps you should start by telling what you've done to narrow it down to the solenoid. There are other potential reasons the starter may not energize. Having a voltmeter on hand is a great way to begin tracking down the problem. It could be something as simple as a dirty or loose battery connection.

I researched and earlier thread with others having the same problem. That thread explain how to bypass the ignition switch and the solenoid. I also check and I’m getting 12 volts to the solenoid. When I run a wire directly from my battery to the started I can get it to turn over.

/ Starter/Solenoid question #4  
When I looked that model up it looks like solenoid is on the starter. You can replace it separately. First, disconnect battery. Then remove starter/solenoid leads, remove starter.
The easiest but more expensive is replace both together. If only solenoid is bad try replacing it.

When I looked that model up it looks like solenoid is on the starter. You can replace it separately. First, disconnect battery. Then remove starter/solenoid leads, remove starter.
The easiest but more expensive is replace both together. If only solenoid is bad try replacing it.

It is super tight threw there and not any room to get to the three bolts holding the solenoid on

/ Starter/Solenoid question #6  
It is super tight threw there and not any room to get to the three bolts holding the solenoid on
You have to take starter off, then remove solenoid.

You have to take starter off, then remove solenoid.

Thought so, I was hoping someone had a secret to getting it off. There must be a gasket there too?

/ Starter/Solenoid question #8  
Thought so, I was hoping someone had a secret to getting it off. There must be a gasket there too?
No, solenoids aren't too bad about leaking. It might have a paper gasket somewhere.

/ Starter/Solenoid question #9  
Don't know about your particular starter, but the ones I've taken off were very simple and straight forward. Take a picture of the wiring first, and make sure to tape up any positive wires when removed to avoid a direct short.
Lastly, most starters get their ground from the case where they bolt on. I have never seen a gasket used. While you have it off clean all connections and the mating surface of the starter / case.