Starter solenoid troubleshooting

/ Starter solenoid troubleshooting
I'll order one up and then see if I can this original one to work as a spare. I miss the days of having a local auto electric shop near by

/ Starter solenoid troubleshooting #13  
Another altenative - a new replica starter from Ebay would be about $100. Rare Electrical - Ebay or Amazon - is one good quality brand.

Another altenative - a new replica starter from Ebay would be about $100. Rare Electrical - Ebay or Amazon - is one good quality brand.
I have not removed the starter but believe it has 11 teeth on the starting gear and those from rare electric have 9

/ Starter solenoid troubleshooting #15  
I have not removed the starter but believe it has 11 teeth on the starting gear and those from rare electric have 9
I am probably wrong which would not be a surprise, however, I think the 2020 starter may have 15 teeth. https://www.amazon.com/Compatible-Replacement-121120-77010-121370-77020-124250-77012/dp/B003TY1D1E/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2ODROLKY6EQ8W&keywords=124250-77012&qid=1693494832&s=automotive&sprefix=124250-77012,automotive,117&sr=1-1&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

/ Starter solenoid troubleshooting #16  
Yes, some research is needed before buying the starter to get the perfect match.

For my YM240 I bought a 2 kw starter to replace the bad 1.4, Same dimensions, teeth, price. While I always use the compression release to get the oil pressure up before firing, that isn't needed to start it. I expect the faster cranking will still start it after the tractor eventually begins to show its age.

/ Starter solenoid troubleshooting #17  
Yes, some research is needed before buying the starter to get the perfect match.

For my YM240 I bought a 2 kw starter to replace the bad 1.4, Same dimensions, teeth, price. While I always use the compression release to get the oil pressure up before firing, that isn't needed to start it. I expect the faster cranking will still start it after the tractor eventually begins to show its age.
I would pull the starter, and try to find a part number and count the teeth. Starters are such a commodity item, that I would be tempted to take your starter down to your local PepBoys/ Autozone / whatever, and put it on the counter and have a chat with the folks there. I suspect that they will be able to find a replacement quickly

Generally, since more kW is more HP, it is not necessarily any faster cranking, but certainly better ability to turn over the engine despite cold oil, and full compression.

I replaced my Deutz starter (2.3kW?) with a 4kW starter, and it definitely makes starting easier/better/quicker, even if it isn't turning over any faster. So, count me in on the "go big on kW" when replacing a starter especially on diesels, if you have the option.

All the best,

Peter

Can an existing starter be rebuilt from say 2.4kw to 4kw?

/ Starter solenoid troubleshooting #19  
I don't know the answer. My guess would be there is only so much room in the starter casing for the winding .... so no?

I've had trouble with my YM solenoid sticking from time to time. You might takes yours apart and see if cleaning it helps your issue. My experience is it helps for a while, but then the issue repeats itself.

So if California says there's an inexpensive starter, you might just skip the attempts at cleaning and go straight to a new starter if you can find one at a reasonable price.

/ Starter solenoid troubleshooting #20  
Can an existing starter be rebuilt from say 2.4kw to 4kw?
Like @2manyrocks, I suspect that there is only so much room, but again, I would go down to your local autoparts place and have a chat. Before you go down, I would make a mental note of where there are mechanical items that might get close to a slightly larger / differently configured version of yours (e.g. the solenoid location is slightly different on an alternative. There is probably a direction it doesn't matter, or is even better, and one that it does.)

That's how I found I could upgrade my Deutz starter power for less money than the cost of a knockoff of the 2.3kW version of the original. Often, there is a high volume starter that matches your bolt pattern, direction of rotation, and # of teeth for less money, and perhaps better performance. On the Deutz, the Bosch OEM solenoid is widely known to be very very finicky about voltage, so I was happy not to put it back in.

Good luck,

Peter