starter sounds like a big wind up toy??

/ starter sounds like a big wind up toy?? #11  
Hey that's an old school hot rod trick. :grin: -kid

:thumbsup:

When youve had as many old pickups and cars with junk starters as Ive had, you pick up a few things ;)

/ starter sounds like a big wind up toy?? #12  
:thumbsup:

When youve had as many old pickups and cars with junk starters as Ive had, you pick up a few things ;)

I heard that. The last time I used that trick was on a Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi. In the end it turned out to be a poor connection at the starter. -kid

/ starter sounds like a big wind up toy?? #13  
I heard that. The last time I used that trick was on a Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi. In the end it turned out to be a poor connection at the starter. -kid

Ford starters were well known for needing a banging on.

/ starter sounds like a big wind up toy?? #14  
Ford starters were well known for needing a banging on.
they sure were. only now the housing's and magnets are so thin that when you bang on them you crack the magnet. i have had some of the new one's apart to see the magnets busted.

/ starter sounds like a big wind up toy?? #15  
We had a 75 chevy van that I kept a hammer in just for that purpose. It got me down the road a few times until I could get the starter rebuilt. Back in the day, the local little battery and starter shop guy would crawl under and removed the starter, rebuilt it while you wait and stick it back on. If I remember correctly, it was about $20 for the whole deal.. What a bargain. Those were the days.

James K0UA

/ starter sounds like a big wind up toy??
OK if I need a new starter can I send my to be rebuilt somewhere?

So every tooth on the flywheel looks to be worn down at a 45 degree angle, with about 3/16 of metal gone...I really hope that was not the problem...sent the starter to be rebuilt locally...should have it back by next Monday.

Likely bad bendix as mentioned.

Could be missing teeth on the flywheel but thats remote.

Try wacking it with a hammer while starting, see if it engages.

And/or remove and bench test.

/ starter sounds like a big wind up toy?? #18  
How much of the tooth remains? A full 3/16 wear isnt good however.

What did the bendix end of the starter look like for wear?

Did you bench test the starter before sending it?

I'll try to get a picture of the teeth, it looks like the side of the fly wheel as been chamfered at 45 degrees, uniform not irregular wear. Bendix teeth looked fine, didn't bench test as I just don't have enough time in the day to get into fixing everything, easy enough to just drop it off in town, they said it would not cost anywhere near what a new starter would ($170) if they just checked it out and replaced what needs replacing.

How much of the tooth remains? A full 3/16 wear isnt good however.

What did the bendix end of the starter look like for wear?

Did you bench test the starter before sending it?