Starter weak? Help please

/ Starter weak? Help please #1  

jimmyj

Elite Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers 616 (Two) and a Kioti CK30 HST with loader and backhoe
I have an older Allis Chalmers tractor (compact, a 616 same as a simplicity 4040). All of a sudden it won't start. The starter throws out and meshes with the flywheel but it won't turn the flywheel (starter does not seem seized, just weak).

I checked the battery and it is fine. Can a starter just get weak over time? Any advice would be appreciated.

/ Starter weak? Help please #2  
I have an older Allis Chalmers tractor (compact, a 616 same as a simplicity 4040). All of a sudden it won't start. The starter throws out and meshes with the flywheel but it won't turn the flywheel (starter does not seem seized, just weak).

I checked the battery and it is fine. Can a starter just get weak over time? Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey Jimmy how are you today? Yes a starter will get weak, it could be the brushes in it. Best to take it off and take to a alt. shop. If you want to check it yourself take it off lay it in the floor with a good set of jumper cables and if it takes off accross the floor its still good, if it just spins alittle then it needs to be rebuilt.

/ Starter weak? Help please
Thanks a lot. I have a spare so I'll swap them out and do a test like you said. It's a very large heavy starter, as big as on a car. The thing is UNDER the engine so I have to pull the engine to get at it. Oh well, it's all good!!

Thanks again.

/ Starter weak? Help please #4  
First thing i'd check is corrosion and dirt on the wire contacts on the battery and the starter. I had similar weakness on my MF even though both the batteres were fully charged and after sanding off the layer of corrosion from the terminals on the battery, cable terminals and starter, it got way better.

Phil

/ Starter weak? Help please #5  
Also, it can be battery. Have you tested battery voltage under starting load? Batteries can take a surface charge that won't hold up to the load of cranking amps.
As noted check, clean and tighten all battery and cable contacts, if the problem still exists, check the battery with a voltmeter while attempting to crank the engine.

If it does end up being the starter, that doesnt mean its necessarily electrical. While brushes and armature contacts can cause a starter to crank slowly, bearing/bushings that are dry, corroded, full of dust and dirt can do the same thing.

/ Starter weak? Help please #6  
My Allis did the same thing once. It would click but not turn the engine over.

Problem was that 1 or more of the cylinders were full of gasoline. The piston can't compress a liquid. Secondary problem was a crankcase full of gas. Cause of problems, a float in the carb that would not shut of the fuel supply. Secondary problem, I didn't turn off the gas at the shutoff valve under the tank after using it.

/ Starter weak? Help please #7  
I had a problem like that on my oliver at one time. The starter was full of clutch dust. Took it apart blew it out with dry air from a can and put it back in. Started much better.

/ Starter weak? Help please #8  
Had similar problem. Battery cable looked OK but found the wires had almost broken into and corroded inside insulation.
New cable...... start right up.

/ Starter weak? Help please #9  
try bypassing solenoid before you pull starter (battery to starter direct). If the resistance in the solenoid is excessive you can have the same symptoms.

/ Starter weak? Help please #10  
Put your multi-meter on the starter power lug and ground, test the voltage at the starter when cranking. Then repeat at the battery. That will tell you if the power is good and the wires good. If both are fine, then take out the starter.