starting a 601

/ starting a 601 #1  

ft601rookie

Tractor
Ford 601
greetings all, I'm new to tractors period, not just old fords, but that what I own a Ford 601, still 6 volt. I put in a new battery which started the machine pretty good for about a month. We've had some fairly cold (single digit) days lately, and starting has been tough. Now even with a full charge I just get a click or series of clicks. Sometimes the glow light it lit, and sometimes not. Also (when extremely cold), it seems like the carburetor float may be stuck and gas just pours out of the carb if it doesn't start on the first try. It was so bad that gas mixed with oil (I assume because the gravity feed type system somehow back flowed into the crankcase). Anyway I am definitely experiencing the rookie learning curve. Any help is greatly appreciated!

/ starting a 601 #2  
Hi. Welcome.

Might check the wires to make sure they are clean and tight. Both positive and negative wires.
A hot hair dryer blowing into the intake can help start on a cold day.

As to the gas flowing from the carb it could be the check valves are sticking.

/ starting a 601
Thanks for the advice. Actually I did go through wire connections one by one. I had done this before too and must have jiggled a lose wire by accident, and it fired right up, but now nothing. I can't seem the find that wire again. So I based on your suggestion, I am on the right track to run the wiring and try to find a bad wire or connection. Thanks!

/ starting a 601 #4  
Completely remove both battery cables, (negative off first, on last) clean all points of contact with a wire brush and a scraper or file.

Pull hard on the cables and check with an ohm meter to see if it has corroded away under the insulation.

Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhRPLgH6uZg

/ starting a 601
It was the cables, problem solved... Thanks to all!

/ starting a 601
Sooo the cables thing is now solved and I have plenty of cranking power. Mucho gratitude to all for that advice. My first day to operate this tractor after purchasing, was when the temps in Indiana were hovering around zero degrees. So being new to tractors, (and their run-ability issues in general), has had my back against the wall from the get go on this tractor for trouble shooting, (The tractor BTW... is a 600, not 601 for the record). Also my mechanical skills on engines period is average at best. So with all that said, now my issue is the flooded carburetor. Until lately, the tractor once started has run smooth and strong, but on several occasions it would not start, and the carburetor would just flood out so bad that I literally have to drain it, via removing the intake hose. Now this problem has much gotten worse, even in warmer temps. If I do manage to get it started, I really have to throttle it just right to keep it running, and even close down the fuel line valve. I tried adjusting the main mix, idle speed adjust, and idle mix, and none of those adjustments make any noticeable corrections as far as smoothness of engine idle, or run-ability. When the engine is running, and I open the fuel valve (up under the tank) all the way it will flood out and kill the engine. This is a very recent development. I am just trying to this guy ready for the many Spring tasks I have been desperately been needing to get done, and so far, its been frustrating to say the least. Once again I reach out for anyone's advice. Thanks in advance!

/ starting a 601 #7  
Is the float still floating or does it have a hole in it?

/ starting a 601
My ignorance will really show here, but do I have to take the carburetor apart to figure out if the float is good or not? And if so, should I just plan on doing a total carb rebuild?

/ starting a 601 #9  
Do you have a shop manual for your tractor? If not, then I think acquiring one should be your first priority. A parts manual would be a good investment too.

/ starting a 601 #10  
If it has the same carb as the 601 you would do well to find an experienced mechanic on them. The one our family owned was hard to get the carb right if not used often. Really took mechanic that knew those carbs.