Starting a Greenhouse

/ Starting a Greenhouse #1  

MikeBurr

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC33D
Just recieved my new greenhouse kit. It will be a 6x12 foot Rion barn style. The kit is all plastic and the parts look well made. The boxes they came in had a little outside damage, but the inside boxes looked great. Next part of the process is to make sure of where we want it to set and then build up the area for the greenhouse. Just a note - the cost of wood for the base at our lumber yard was fairly close to the cost of the base I could have ordered from the company - no real saving in making my own base. I'll try to post a few pictures as the project progresses..

/ Starting a Greenhouse #2  
Can't wait to hear how this all goes for you. Wife is busting my hump about getting her a greenhouse this year. We looked at Rion (from Costco) and another Aluminum and Plexi job. I just want to build my own out of treated lumber.

Love to hear how it all goes and see some pics...

Carl

/ Starting a Greenhouse #3  
We purchased a 10x12 Aluminum and some type of plastic from Harbor Freight last year. I was hesitant to do it, but the wife kept reading about how good it was on some of her garden forums. First it was a bear to build - or should I say builds. It seemed we were constantly taking something apart and reassembling because the directions weren't clear or didn't tell you something. Once up, the frame seems reasonably strong - though the back wall could use a little reinforcing. We had it all assembled and her plants were doing fine. Along came a windstorm and blew the panels out. We found a couple of fixes. Silicon and additional clips. I put about 3 tubes of silicon on the roof alone along with doubling the number of clips. This is about the 1st of November. Thought we were OK. Until the 1st or 2nd week of Dec. Another windstorm. Blew out something like 15 or 16 panels. She ended up moving all of her plants to my shed. Since then we've been running an electric heater and left the flourescent light on. Amazingly looks like most of her plants have survived. They don't look great, but aren't dead either.

Now that the weather is starting to warm up a little I'm going to go get some cheap bolts and see if I can bolt the panels in - hopefully we found them all. I had to go hiking a couple of times searching for them. If the bolts work, I'll replace them with some stainless steel ones. Don't feel like paying for SS to find out it didn't work.

If I remember right, the reason we didn't build our own GH is they didn't recommend using treated lumber.....though I don't remember that for sure and don't remember why they said not to.:confused:

BTW, Did I mention this GH has been a major pain in the .... this year. Has been the center of several arguments as well....

/ Starting a Greenhouse #4  
Thanks for the info, we were looking at that one. You might try 50-yr urethane caulking from a building supply store, it takes several days to dry but is the strongest adhesive I've ever seen, it would be stronger than bolts.

Mike

/ Starting a Greenhouse #6  
This is the one the wife wants

Juliana Gardener Greenhouse

As for fights, we are married. I thought I saw it in my vows or in my marriage license.

I guess I will add a plant section to my shop so when it all comes crashing down I can take your advice and move them in.

Look forward to seeing how the Costco version works..

Carl

/ Starting a Greenhouse #7  
i use mine to start plants....i can get several hundred going in the compact size one.

/ Starting a Greenhouse
Well, here are some pictures of the kit. The parts have been sorted and I'll be ready to build as soon as it warms up a little more.
Pictures 1 & 3 are of the plastic parts, num 2 is the location that it will set in. Will post more when I have more to show.

Attachments

• GreenHouseParts2.jpg
    GreenHouseParts2.jpg
    980.4 KB · Views: 250
  • GreenhouseLoc.jpg
    GreenhouseLoc.jpg
    751.2 KB · Views: 210
  • GreenHouseParts.jpg
    GreenHouseParts.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 193
   / Starting a Greenhouse #9  
That will be nice when you're done. I've been gathering materials for several years. the gravel pad has been setting up through the last 2 winters. I have some 4x6 foot double pane storefront windows, and last fall I had the cedar sawn for the frame. Now I just need to pour the slab, get the polycarbon for the roof... and find the time to do it.

For what it's worth my parents ran a greenhouse for years, and my father said he wouldn't buy a wooden house now. His one remaining house
(18x50+-, for personal use) is covered with the polycarbon like what you're using. The only problem you may find is that like a garage or tractor, it won't be big enough.:D

/ Starting a Greenhouse #10  
This thread is interesting. We bought a basic 10' x 24' hoop house. its one of these: green-house-kit.net

Before I built and installed the end panels, I dumped enough 1-1/2" crushed stone into it to level out to about 8". I thought it would help hold the heat through the night. Now she wants me to till the soil and she'll plant right in the ground to start her plants. With 24" doors on the end, the stone is coming out by the shovel full. What a pain in the rear. The unit is real basic but, has held up to strong winds and the snow slides off.