Dealer Starting engine problem, model G

/ Starting engine problem, model G #1  

Lacmullin

Tractor
International
Hi, I need your help. I have the model G with the Doosan and when the motor is cold I have to hold the key (this is not a keyless start) to the start position for a while ( up to 15 minutes sonetimes) so the engine don’t stop when I release the key. Sometimes I have to do this a couple of times before the engine does not stop when returning to the running position.

The engine start nicely, but I have to hold the key to the start position, very strange.

When the motor is warm, then it start normaly......

Can someone help me with this problem.

Thanks

/ Starting engine problem, model G #2  
Hi I have ran into similar situation in the auto industry . It is likely in the switch , you could try spraying contact cleaner ( Canadian Tire ). or if possible take switch apart & clean contacts and springs and lubricate . OR replace the ignition switch . I had one that only caused a similar concern below -20F. Good luck Bruce

/ Starting engine problem, model G #3  
In the past, I have seen moisture in the starter solenoid create an issue with cold starts. It only takes a very very small bit of moisture, like high humidity during the manufacturing process. What happens is the moisture in the solenoid condenses on the first thing that cools down....the 2 big copper contact bolts. So the contacts then get cold enough to freeze the water and are now covered in frost, and the contact washer doesn't touch the contacts.

It is easy to diagnose this issue, by carefully warming the 2 bolts to above freezing, then try to start.

I worked for a manufacturer that started having this issue with hundreds of starters. I asked to see a COLD starter that is never brought inside to thaw. As I tore apart the solenoid, I saw all the frost on those contact bolts. I bet the solenoids were assembled in a warm and humid climate. Later, I purchased a new truck from a different manufacturer and it would not start at the first cold snap (month old truck). I tested the system, and told the story to the dealer, they replaced the starter, problem solved. If this is your problem, find a way to get dry air into the solenoid.

/ Starting engine problem, model G
In the past, I have seen moisture in the starter solenoid create an issue with cold starts. It only takes a very very small bit of moisture, like high humidity during the manufacturing process. What happens is the moisture in the solenoid condenses on the first thing that cools down....the 2 big copper contact bolts. So the contacts then get cold enough to freeze the water and are now covered in frost, and the contact washer doesn't touch the contacts.

It is easy to diagnose this issue, by carefully warming the 2 bolts to above freezing, then try to start.

I worked for a manufacturer that started having this issue with hundreds of starters. I asked to see a COLD starter that is never brought inside to thaw. As I tore apart the solenoid, I saw all the frost on those contact bolts. I bet the solenoids were assembled in a warm and humid climate. Later, I purchased a new truck from a different manufacturer and it would not start at the first cold snap (month old truck). I tested the system, and told the story to the dealer, they replaced the starter, problem solved. If this is your problem, find a way to get dry air into the solenoid.

Thanks for the answer, but the starter run fine, start everytime, the problem is when I release the key from the starting position to the running position.....then the motor stop.

I have to hold the key a while in the starting position before it can return to the running positio and the motor don’t stop.

Thanks

/ Starting engine problem, model G #5  
Then I would think the switch....like 8N Bruce said.

/ Starting engine problem, model G #6  
Key switch or display controller is failing. :confused3:

/ Starting engine problem, model G #8  
Thank you for your answer.

What is the display controller? Is this the control panel?

Thanks
Yes ! Remember there is no direct link from the key switch to the starter. The key signals the the controller. The controller signals the start relay. Sounds to me like you are losing the run circuit in the run position of the key.

/ Starting engine problem, model G
Key switch or display controller is failing. :confused3:

Is there a way to know if it is the control panel or the switch the problem. The panel don’t give any error code.

Can I fix the control panel, if not what is the cost of this panel?

Thanks

/ Starting engine problem, model G #10  
I would check the simplest things first. Key switch and plug. Plugs on back of controller. Look for pushed back pins. Can you post the sn# ?