Starting issue with Case 1130 - Bad key switch?

/ Starting issue with Case 1130 - Bad key switch? #1  

chrisbowers8

Tractor
John Deere 2720
Hello everyone,

I have a "new to me" Case 1130 with a 3cyl Mitsubishi diesel. It has a strange intermittent issue that I decided to roll the dice on when I bought it because the rest of the tractor was immaculate and very well maintained (plus the price is right). It has a strange issue where you turn the key, you hear the solenoid click but starter doesn't engage. Eventually after several tries it'll engage, sometimes you have to turn the key switch with just the right amount of pressure/speed (that might be in my head, but I think it helps). Previous owner stated that it had been doing this, they replaced the starter which has an integrated solenoid and it kept doing it after that. So, I'm thinking it is a bad key switch perhaps, or bad wiring? Strange thing is, as I said, I can hear the solenoid click, unless it's actually the relay I'm hearing.

Thanks in advance!

/ Starting issue with Case 1130 - Bad key switch? #2  
:welcome:
To the TBN forum Chris. You came to the right place to get answers.

Congrats on the "new to you" tractor. Sorry to hear about the problem with it.

Someone who knows about Case will be along shortly to help.

/ Starting issue with Case 1130 - Bad key switch? #3  
I use this simple tool.... I have a whole collection of meters from simple to exotic and I grab this $5 tool first (usually)...

2700449466_e6f5ee4e56_o.jpg

Put it on cable to solenoid (terminal) and clip to ground... If it lights every time you turn key, its a starter issue, if it only lights occasionally (not ever key turn) it's probably ignition switch....

Dale

/ Starting issue with Case 1130 - Bad key switch? #4  
Could be the switch, wiring to the solenoid, or bad ground assuming the replaced starter and solenoid are ok.
Check the voltage on the switched wire to see if a) it is consistently powered in the start position and b) that the voltage is adequate to properly activate the solenoid. Also check all connections, including the battery posts and frame ground.
I installed a relay that powers the solenoid from the positive post of the starter, which ensures battery voltage to the solenoid. There are plenty of articles on the web describing how to wire the relay.

/ Starting issue with Case 1130 - Bad key switch? #5  
it does sound like a solenoid problem, either not getting sufficient voltage to operate the solenoid, or a bad solenoid on the replacement starter, it's not unusual to get a bad starter, check the voltage going to both the solenoid, and the starter while attempting cranking.. think of the solenoid as a switch. it connects the battery voltage to the starter motor..

/ Starting issue with Case 1130 - Bad key switch?
I use this simple tool.... I have a whole collection of meters from simple to exotic and I grab this $5 tool first (usually)...

Put it on cable to solenoid (terminal) and clip to ground... If it lights every time you turn key, its a starter issue, if it only lights occasionally (not ever key turn) it's probably ignition switch....

Dale

Thanks, I'm assuming it should be getting 12-12.5 volts to the starter from the Solenoid? What's odd is that I hear the solenoid clicking audibly but it'll take 6-7 tries for it to engage the starter. I suppose it could have been a bad starter out of the box, that would be some terrible luck though!

/ Starting issue with Case 1130 - Bad key switch? #7  
Thanks, I'm assuming it should be getting 12-12.5 volts to the starter from the Solenoid? What's odd is that I hear the solenoid clicking audibly but it'll take 6-7 tries for it to engage the starter. I suppose it could have been a bad starter out of the box, that would be some terrible luck though!

Sounds like bum solenoid (I know, inside starter) but in most solenoids there is a set of contacts and a plate that connects them when magnetic field pulls in solenoid core... If "plate" does not make contact with the two contacts you don't get any current flow, there for starter motor does not spin...

Was statrer a new replacement or a rebuild....

If stater is not to old and if not to much time has passes and you have receipt ( I know lot of if's) I would have starter back on parts house counter asking, no demanding for replacement....

Another thing to check is ground cable from battery to chassis or engine block or any ground strap between chassi to engine block ( depends how ground side of battery connects to "tractor")...

If not able to return, take it apart and see if you can fix it or see if there
is industrial electrical shop nearby that specialize in repairs of starters and generators for industrial equipment like semi trucks, tractors, forklifts and see what their diagnosis and estimate of repair is....

Here is basics (generic) of what is inside starter solenoid..

solenoid2.jpg

Dale

/ Starting issue with Case 1130 - Bad key switch? #8  
Usually on a tractor there is a starter relay in addition to the solenoid on the starter. This is done so safety switches inhibiting starting are not subjected to high electrical loads created by the starter solenoid..

The test light suggestion, less than $10 is the best tool to solve your problem.

When the key is turned to the start position check, using the test light, for power at the small terminal on the starter.

A bad ground where the battery cable attaches to the engine block or frame is a common problem. Remove and clean the metal surfaces.

Dave M7040

/ Starting issue with Case 1130 - Bad key switch? #9  
a test light won't tell you how much voltage is getting to the solenoid, a VOM will, and if you get at least 11 volts, the connection between the battery and the starter motor should be at least 11 volts, also(when cranking is attempted) else, it CAN'T start.. you can try jumping it out with a battery jumper cable..

/ Starting issue with Case 1130 - Bad key switch? #10  
Hello everyone,

I have a "new to me" Case 1130 with a 3cyl Mitsubishi diesel. It has a strange intermittent issue that I decided to roll the dice on when I bought it because the rest of the tractor was immaculate and very well maintained (plus the price is right). It has a strange issue where you turn the key, you hear the solenoid click but starter doesn't engage. Eventually after several tries it'll engage, sometimes you have to turn the key switch with just the right amount of pressure/speed (that might be in my head, but I think it helps). Previous owner stated that it had been doing this, they replaced the starter which has an integrated solenoid and it kept doing it after that. So, I'm thinking it is a bad key switch perhaps, or bad wiring? Strange thing is, as I said, I can hear the solenoid click, unless it's actually the relay I'm hearing.

Thanks in advance!

Did you ever find problem? Having same problem with mine. Any insight would be appreciated.