starting out....

/ starting out.... #11  
First of all, I'd like to commend you on your vision for a future career.

Second, I echo just about everything everyone else has said. They said it better than I and with more experience in the heavy equipment industry, so please accept their recommendations as sincere.

Third, as an educator myself, I have to echo the sentiments regarding schooling. Make sure you graduate from high school. Make sure you're proficient in written and verbal skills and I usually advocate as much math as possible.

Upon graduation from high school, investigate the local community college for small business courses and management courses. Again, verbal and written skills should be honed as well.

Other things to keep in mind: When writing an estimate or talking with a prospective customer, you only have one chance to make a first impression. Make it count! If it's verbal, be professional. If it's written, use correct grammar and spelling. (Know the difference between their, they're and there; to, two, too; accept, except etc.) If it's via e-mail, there's a whole new etiquette that needs to be followed.

Keep your sights set on your own business. You'll get there, but follow the advice given by others here.

Good Luck,

~Rick

/ starting out.... #12  
One other point that has not been brought up yet: Payment of work done in a timely fashion!!

Figure out how you are going to handle this,long before your first job. Sure you can sue to get payment,or use liens. But just because you have a judgement in your hands it is no gaurantee of payment!!