starting out

/ starting out #1  

jimg

Veteran Member
Im in a situation where Id like to aquire an older tractor to work on and gain knowledge and experience but not necessarily do a bottom up restoration right now. The end goal is to have a mechanically safe/sound tractor to use in the local pulls. High HP isnt a requirement and whatever I wind up w/ needs to be a full size utility ag tractor. With that in mind are there brand/mdls that are easier to work on and well documented (mechanically vs historically)...more common than other tractors b/c of numbers made? Another primary consideration is a ready supply of parts. I have only limited shop resources at present so simple is best. I do know how to weld and am reasonably well inclined mechanically. It seems Farmall, International, Case and Oliver/MF are most common in this area. There are Deeres but I think many of those were moved to the area. After attending a few pulls it appears most of the contestants run late 50s-early 70s machines. So, Id like to stay generally in that age bracket. What would you suggest to get started?

/ starting out #2  
Unless you're rich uncle has turned over the keys to the bank vault, stay away from anything that isn't related to a current brand. (stick with Massey, Ford, Case IH, Deere, ect) Nothing that requires a scavenger hunt for every nut and bolt. That is "advance restoration territory".

I'd suggest starting with something late 1950's to mid 1970's as a 1st try. You can probably find a tractor that isn't a total basket case that way.

You mentioned an "ag utility" Nothing better in that realm than 1st and 2nd generation Massey Fergusons or "hundred series" and "thousand series" Fords. Deere and IH utilities will bust your uncles bank.

My personal favorite would be a 30/35/135 Ferguson/Massey Ferguson or an F-40/MF50/MF150. Easy to work on, cheap parts (that's relative to some other brands...NOTHING is cheap anymore)and eay to find a decent tractor.

The Fords I mentioned fall in the same catagory too.

These tractors were built in an era when farmers still used smaller tractors. They were built well enough to take a hard days work. Back then, most any farmer would do 90% of his own repair work. These tractors were designed to allow an average mechanic to understand how they worked.

There's a good supply of aftermarket parts available too. (EBAY!) Lots of manuals available, and lots of folks who can lend you all the advice you want.

/ starting out #3  
Utility or ag size? And common?

I'd look for a ford 5000 or 5600.. or similar sized MF product.

Those are some pretty basic machines.. engine trans and rear end.. and just a tad bit of sheet metal .. no magic.. just big tough hp.

I don't doubt that a big casie/IH tractor would do you bad either.. though I'm more fond of fords... etc.

Soundguy

/ starting out #4  
If you're looking for something to "pull" with (I got the impression that that is your end game...), suggest you look at Allis Chalmers, maybe a WD or a WD45. Antique pulls allow up to '59 vintage tractors. ACs do very well at pulls (good weight distribution, and hard to beat, easy to work on engines). Parts are usually easy to come by. A second choice would be a Super C Farmall. Less HP but easy to work on and parts are everywhere. Mind you, both of these tractors usually are seen with a tri-cycle front, but both can also be had with wide front ends. You need to determine what type pulling you are gonna do/be eligible for, before you pick a brand/model. My 2 cents worth. BobG in VA

/ starting out #5  
I agree with Bob.

Other issue on those wd are their price.... There were many ( too many? (grin ) ) of them made.. and they are priced accordingly. I'm sure you could find a good unit int he 2000$ range.. depending on where you are.

Soundguy

/ starting out #6  
Completely zoned out on the part about pulling.....

Skip th MF and Fords completely. Too heavy on the front end for a good puller without some serious weight reduction (and a fair amount of rule-bending)

You want a puller? Find yourself an old Minneapolis Moline. Next most common antique puller would be various FarmAlls, then Case. There have been a FEW successful pullers using MF and Ford, but they have years of experience and a touch of magic on their side.

2-cylinder Deeres do OK, but again, you have to know your stuff with them. (IF you have any aspirations of winning?)

Most antique pulling organizations have a cut-off around 1959 or earlier. Keeps the modern stuff outside looking in.

/ starting out #7  
Just went to a classic tractor pull. The 400 series Case tractors seemed to clean up.

/ starting out
Soundguy said:
Utility or ag size? And common?
What I was trying to communicate is that Im looking for a full size tractor as opposed to a CUT or one of the many number of small tractors (like Gibsons). By common I mean in numbers made. I figured parts should be much easier to find if many were mfg over a long period of time. That was just a guess on my part though and thats why I was asking here.

I'd look for a ford 5000 or 5600.. or similar sized MF product.
Right, I was thinking along the Ford line too. In this area Ford is very uncommon. At the last tractor show/pull there exactly 2 Fords out of 200-300 tractors. They just arent terribly popular for whatever reason. However, I wouldnt let that stop me. :D

Those are some pretty basic machines.. engine trans and rear end.. and just a tad bit of sheet metal .. no magic.. just big tough hp.
THis is what Im after...very simple but good pulling potential. I have been looking around at Fords since I posted my inquiry here and they can be had for reasonable $$$ in neighboring states.

I don't doubt that a big casie/IH tractor would do you bad either.. though I'm more fond of fords... etc.
These are very popular here and do well at the pulls.

Soundguy

Hi Soundguy

/ starting out
BobG
I should have been more specific about the rules. Here they say '60 and older are antique and '61 to '76 are classic. Within each class tractors are further divided by weight (including the driver). The antique class range from 3000# to 12,000# and classics 8000# to 16000#.

Many drivers here run WDs and do reasonably well. The big winners usually turn out to be the Olivers and Farmalls though. In this area from what I can tell both those brands are fairly pricey.

The Farmall Super C you mention would be the same as International Super C?

I know, I have a lot to learn!

/ starting out
Farmwithjunk,
The Olivers always do very well. In fact along w/ the Farmalls place most consistantly. From what I can tell though theyre more expensive and Im uncertain how mechanically complicated thay are.