Buying Advice Starting with 10 acres. Some clearing needed. plan is to have cattle and horse.

/ Starting with 10 acres. Some clearing needed. plan is to have cattle and horse. #1  

Crelicc

Tractor
none yet
Hey Ladies and Gents. I purchased 10 acres recently and would like advice from those of you willing to listen. I need to clear about 5 acres but the end plan is to have a few head of cattle and 2 horses max due to limited space. I will be buying more land but that is later. I have asked local friends and farmers and been recommended to buy a 50 HP tractor. Simply due to the weight and allowing the front bucket to dig. I plan on using the tractor to clear brush, grade driveway, plow small garden, landscaping. Basically the normal outside honey do list. I also need to dig trenches for water removal. I have visited the usual manufacturers around my area such as JD, Massey, Kubota and New Holland. From talking with them, Massey seems better due to ease of small maintenance at home like Oil, filters etc. I am like many with a small shallow pocket. Your experiance and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

/ Starting with 10 acres. Some clearing needed. plan is to have cattle and horse. #2  
Welcome aboard. Happy to share some experience as I have cleared a 10 acre overgrown farm too.

First, 50hp is probably a bit on the high side. Instead of an expensive 50hp tractor, look for a 40hp CUT and spend the savings on implements like a grapple, subsoiler, box blade or even backhoe to help get the work done more efficiently. A 40hp tractor with a grapple will clear five to ten times as much brush in a day as a 50hp tractor with a bucket. Also, most 50hp tractors are just 40hp tractors with a bigger or more tuned engine in the exact same frame so you are not really getting substantially more weight or tire size etc. Often they will have the same loader capacity too. Don't be snowed by the "more horsepower" chorus. A 40hp tractor is easily enough for a 10 acre farm.

You listed the big three/four tractors but you should expand your search to include Mahindra and Kioti. Both are very solid value brands that are well respected and capable machines that cost $4-5K less than comparable JD/Kubota etc and, they typically weight more and have stronger loaders.

/ Starting with 10 acres. Some clearing needed. plan is to have cattle and horse. #3  
Welcome to the world of tractor buying ! Do go and test drive and just sit on the tractors to see. Some machines will just feel better than others when using the controls and the way they drive. I just bought a Kioti CK 27 HST which is aliitle less than what you are looking for. The Kioti is a well made tractor and weighs in more than most. You might look at the Kioti DK35. See if the dealer will make you a package deal ( mower,bush hog,grapple,box blade,remote hyd, etc. ) which tends to lower the price. I would think 35 to 40 hp would be plenty of power.

Good Luck

/ Starting with 10 acres. Some clearing needed. plan is to have cattle and horse. #4  
:welcome:
To TBN from Alabama. I went on the lower end with a 32hp CUT and it does the job well. If I had to do it now, I would go with the 46hp of the same CUT.

/ Starting with 10 acres. Some clearing needed. plan is to have cattle and horse. #5  
Welcome Crelicc,
I am fairly new to the whole tractor world myself. You stated that you would be getting more land at a later date. Make sure you get the tractor that will handle those future needs also. I needed a 45 hp tractor for now, but I plan on getting more land within 5 years or so, so, I went with the bigger model. (66 hp) I do not regret it at all. I looked at several different brands but the Kioti won out. Good luck.
On a side note; many, many, years ago I lived in Gaffney. Loved that place, is the big peach still standing?

/ Starting with 10 acres. Some clearing needed. plan is to have cattle and horse. #6  
Welcome Crelicc, I am fairly new to the whole tractor world myself. You stated that you would be getting more land at a later date. Make sure you get the tractor that will handle those future needs also. I needed a 45 hp tractor for now, but I plan on getting more land within 5 years or so, so, I went with the bigger model. (66 hp) I do not regret it at all. I looked at several different brands but the Kioti won out. Good luck.

As a new tractor owner yourself, how did you come to the decision to buy a 66 hp tractor for six acres? I cleared that much land with a 21 hp tractor with no problem.

/ Starting with 10 acres. Some clearing needed. plan is to have cattle and horse.
Yes the Big Peach is still there along I-85. They have even touched up the paint.

/ Starting with 10 acres. Some clearing needed. plan is to have cattle and horse.
New to forum style stuff as well. HAHA. Yes the Big Peach is still there and had a face lift recently.

Welcome Crelicc,
I am fairly new to the whole tractor world myself. You stated that you would be getting more land at a later date. Make sure you get the tractor that will handle those future needs also. I needed a 45 hp tractor for now, but I plan on getting more land within 5 years or so, so, I went with the bigger model. (66 hp) I do not regret it at all. I looked at several different brands but the Kioti won out. Good luck.
On a side note; many, many, years ago I lived in Gaffney. Loved that place, is the big peach still standing?

Thanks for the quick reply guys. I read that KIOTI is having part supply issues from over seas and they are difficult to work on. Does that info hold any water or is it false?

Welcome aboard. Happy to share some experience as I have cleared a 10 acre overgrown farm too.

First, 50hp is probably a bit on the high side. Instead of an expensive 50hp tractor, look for a 40hp CUT and spend the savings on implements like a grapple, subsoiler, box blade or even backhoe to help get the work done more efficiently. A 40hp tractor with a grapple will clear five to ten times as much brush in a day as a 50hp tractor with a bucket. Also, most 50hp tractors are just 40hp tractors with a bigger or more tuned engine in the exact same frame so you are not really getting substantially more weight or tire size etc. Often they will have the same loader capacity too. Don't be snowed by the "more horsepower" chorus. A 40hp tractor is easily enough for a 10 acre farm.

You listed the big three/four tractors but you should expand your search to include Mahindra and Kioti. Both are very solid value brands that are well respected and capable machines that cost $4-5K less than comparable JD/Kubota etc and, they typically weight more and have stronger loaders.

/ Starting with 10 acres. Some clearing needed. plan is to have cattle and horse. #10  
As a new tractor owner yourself, how did you come to the decision to buy a 66 hp tractor for six acres? I cleared that much land with a 21 hp tractor with no problem.

I use it for growing hay. Running a bailer and swather, pulling a disc and spring tooth. But mostly for the future. (more land) Some of my property has a slope, I actually need four wheel drive when pulling the disc or spring tooth to make it up. No clearing here, it's all dirt! Heck I wish I could get a tree to grow.