Buying Advice Starting with 10 acres. Some clearing needed. plan is to have cattle and horse.

/ Starting with 10 acres. Some clearing needed. plan is to have cattle and horse. #31  
Hire out the clearing. Spend $2000 on dozier work and buy a smaller tractor. You will be happier in the long run. A 35-40hp tractor should be plenty. Probably get by with even less. Loader,forks,grapple,box blade and Bushog will have you set. Tiller would be nice as well.

/ Starting with 10 acres. Some clearing needed. plan is to have cattle and horse.
Re: The: Plan: Starting w/10 acres. Some clearing needed. Plan to have cattle & ***

I See you were busy. I was also told this by a local farmer here. Thanks for backing his info.

I speak from experience See http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...weekend.html?highlight=busy+wife+this+weekend

Get a big boy,TLB a full size industrial Case or Terex etc. that can be had for about $30K. (be careful with JCB)
The machine has to be in working order, but can have a lot of wear.

Three things could happen.

1.) The machine breaks and will need major repair, your screwed.
2.) You spare killing a smaller trator, even large Ag suck at land clearing, sell it for what you paid for it, buy small tractor and live happy ever after.
3.) You keep it because you fall in love with the brute, and save for that small tractor. (Daughter will eventually move out and just visit.)

/ Starting with 10 acres. Some clearing needed. plan is to have cattle and horse.
I have found some nice package deals on kubotas with trailer and bucket plus one other attachment. They are from a dealer in lower SC. Not sure if it is legit. I am looking at the 40 - 50 HP range. Also, for a previous post, It doesn't have to be new. I will take a nice used tractor.

Hire out the clearing. Spend $2000 on dozier work and buy a smaller tractor. You will be happier in the long run. A 35-40hp tractor should be plenty. Probably get by with even less. Loader,forks,grapple,box blade and Bushog will have you set. Tiller would be nice as well.

/ Starting with 10 acres. Some clearing needed. plan is to have cattle and horse. #34  
I have found some nice package deals on kubotas with trailer and bucket plus one other attachment. They are from a dealer in lower SC. Not sure if it is legit. I am looking at the 40 - 50 HP range. Also, for a previous post, It doesn't have to be new. I will take a nice used tractor.
Not a nice old tractor, a simple old tractor.
Simple = fix it myself cheaply
Simple = ultra reliable

/ Starting with 10 acres. Some clearing needed. plan is to have cattle and horse. #35  
I don't think I know enough to give advice, it is your money you are spending and yes people love to spend other peoples money (just look at our government), but I can tell you what I did and so far I am very happy. I started out with 10 acres of trees. I purchased a little 26hp JD at an auction because that was all I could afford at the time. I hired out the clearing which cost me $2000 but he just piled the trees and I disposed of them. Recently bought the 10 next to me and hired the same guy to clear. Then a couple weeks ago I purchased a new 37hp Orange in which they took the old JD for trade and gave me what I paid for it at the auction. I am working on hauling the new downed trees to the burn pile and planting the original in pasture grass. I would not worry about making hay if you are going to have that many animals on that size of land ( experience 8 goats, 4 mini horses, and a mini donk.) And now you know my life's history for the last 3 years. In 3 more years I hope to retire and be working on maintenance around the property (fences, seeding, etc...)

/ Starting with 10 acres. Some clearing needed. plan is to have cattle and horse. #36  
My brother in law has a 40HP engine tractor (NH 2310 with cab) and it handles round bales easily enough and will stack them up to 3 high when using the proper rear ballast. He recently started using a rear spear along with his FEL spear (not a add on to the FEL bucket but a QA attachment to the FEL) to haul two bales at a time. He runs a 6 foot bush hog to mow his 32 acres when the cows don't keep it down.
I think a tractor that size would be plenty for your needs if money is tight and it wouldn't have to be new. A used one that has been taken care of with 500-1000 hours or less should be in excellent shape and if priced right could be perfect.

I have a 70 HP LS P 7010 AND a Kubota B26 TLB for my 11.2 acres. I got the LS because it was lower priced than any of the Big 3 in 50 HP sized tractors with cabs that I had looked at but it turned out to be a bit too large for many of my tasks. I picked up the Kubota used for a very good price,($20,500) compared to new that is, and it has been my go to tractor for most of my work. I have put only about 100 hours on my 2010 LS but over 300 on my 2009 Kubota which I got in 2011. I am amazed at what I can do with the little B26. I have removed lots of saplings using the backhoe and pushed huge piles of trees with the FEL. I wish I had a grapple for the FEL but I manage OK now that most of the clearing is done. Now it is mostly removing storm or insect damaged trees so I cant really justify spending retirement money on a grapple.

I guess I am just saying that you can do a lot with a small TLB when it comes to clearing land. The previous owner used a 5 foot BH with it which he said it pulled it nicely. I wish I had found the B26 before I bought the 70 HP LS and I likely would still be a one tractor owner. Even saying that, there has been some tasks that I did with the LS that would have been impossible with anything smaller but all those are behind me now.

Remember that larger tractors mean larger implements are required and larger implements cost a lot more money, also larger tractors can break implements much easier also.

/ Starting with 10 acres. Some clearing needed. plan is to have cattle and horse. #37  
I would hire the clearing work done. Trenches: rent a TLB and do it yourself.

What's your tractor budget?

For my 10 acres (flat, pasture) I bought a new 2008 Mahindra 5525 (55 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, gear tranny 8F/2R, power steering, triple rear hydraulic remotes) with the ML250 FEL (6-ft wide bucket, 2950 lb lift to 10.5 ft, skid steer quick attach on the bucket) and a Hawkline 6 ft brush hog. Total cost: about $19K. Used the tractor for hay farming (Kanota oats).

Good luck.