steering ajustment

/ steering ajustment #11  
It may also be noted that the most expensive parts are those that appear to wear first.

Hmm.. iI've rebuilt plenty of manual steering boxes...and in all the ones I've rebuilt.. it's usually the -cheap- 'replaceable wear' parts that wore first.. like seals, bearings /races, and bushings. Not the expensive parts like the wormshafts and the sector gears.

In cases of operater abuse and lack of maintenance.. like no lube.. the wear parts seem to wear real fast.. and if not serviced. then the spendy parts take the abuse..

So, if its apart and needs some parts why not do a proper job of it now instead of next year and the following year. etc. etc.:D

If it needs parts.. sure.. put them in... if it merely needs adjustment.. why take it apart. Many boxes have built in mechanisms to take up sector backlash resulting from bushing wear.. like adjuster studs.. or eccentric housings that can be rotated...

wear in thrust bearings.. would deffinately requre repalcement as there's no -good- practical way to bring them back into tolerance.

The owner may want to put a few hours on his machine and good tight steering is always enjoyable!:D

Which might be accomplished with a few minutes of adjustment.. vs hours of rebuilding.

never hurts to crack the service manual and check. Prudence may pay off thru research.

soundguy

/ steering ajustment #12  
Sounds good sound guy but don't necessarily wash for the steering gear box in question.

Didn't the OP say he was out of adjustment range??:D

Now there are several questions.

On these machines you have that last forever why do they need rebuilding?
If you have rebuilt many is that because you do not service them properly?:D

Any real farmer knows his tractor has gotta have reliable steering cause if that fails and it's critical window time for crops he's in trouble!:D

Some real farmers will even replace equipment parts that are not worn out because he needs reliable equipment for the upcoming year.:D

Last edited:
   / steering ajustment #13  
Sounds good sound guy but don't necessarily wash for the steering gear box in question.

I disagree.. while there are some specific differences between boxes.. the general procedures to recon a manual steering box that uses a recirculating ballnut, sector gears and shafts and a wormshaft, are, essentially the same. Just a little procedure and aprts difference.

Didn't the OP say he was out of adjustment range??:D

I didn't see that specific quote. Though I do see where he adjusted it but was perhaps having problems getting the original lock nut back on... suggesting he is likely at the very limit of the range of adjustment available... If there are any threads sticking out still.. he can try a pall nut, or make a flat face nut with immediate threads and no bulge befroe the threads.. if he can get either of those threaded on, and was able to bring steering back into tolerance per the book... he's at least good for now, with only that simple adjustment. obviously when it wears more, he will need to rebuild it. And if he can't fit the nut on.. then it will need rebuilding.

On these machines you have that last forever?

I expect a red herring crack like that outta you... I never said they last forever.. However.. lots of tractors running around today fromt he 50's and earlier.. and yes.. i feel they were built better than many machines being turned out today. I don't expect todays crop of machines to last like yesteryears crop of machines... IE.. I don't expect to routinely get 60-70 years out of a NH TC-30...

why do they need rebuilding?

Because previous owners apparently never did preventative maintenance on them.. OR.. they just plain wore thru their adjustment after multiple decades of use. IE.. normal wear on 'wear' parts.

If you have rebuilt many is that because you do not service them properly?:D

Again.. i expect wisecrack content free posts like this from you.

Remember.. I buy old antique tractors then restore them...the oldies come in in bad shape.. then get rebuilt. If I buy a 60 year old tractor with a worn steering box and rebuild it, it's not because 'I' didn't maintain it well for the first 50 years of it's life before 'I' owned it. But then.. I don't expect you to understand the serial nature of time.

Any real farmer knows his tractor has gotta have reliable steering cause if that fails and it's critical window time for crops he's in trouble!:D

No argument there...

Some real farmers will even replace equipment parts that are not worn out because he needs reliable equipment for the upcoming year.:D

None their either.

soundguy

/ steering ajustment #14  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon

No argument there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon

None their either.

So what have you been trying to say??? :confused::confused::confused:

Oh, if you missed it!
[QUOTEProblem is now the screw is in so far there are no threads sticking out to tighten the lock nut on. Can anyone give me some input on this? ][/quote]

Yup, right in the first post by the OP.

Last edited:
   / steering ajustment
Just a quick update with my steering box problem. I did take a nut and grind the face flat. This allowed me to get a slight bit more of adjustment and catch a couple of threads to lock it. Hopefully this will hold up till this dang snow goes away and then ill have the time to pull it apart and replace any worn parts,,,,,,,,,,to be continued

/ steering ajustment #17  
Glad the nut-grind trick worked for you.

Keep us in the loop when you go in to renew the box.

soundguy

/ steering ajustment
Ok, latest update at the risk of slight embaressment to myself. I went out and did some more snow moveing, Of which by the way (enough is enough)!!! Anywho i digress. When i brought the tractor back in the garage i noticed a faint clicking sound as the steering wheel is turned, stop to stop. After positioning this old body, and further scrutiny, this time with the added use of glasses, yes in fact the steering colume is moveing up and down when turned stop to stop. This leads me to believe its a thrust bushing problem. You see guys, i am learning. That old (you cant teach an old dog),,,,,,,let me see, hows it go? Seriously, i really do appreciate the help guys,,,,to be continued! bedway

/ steering ajustment #19  
Hopefully they are thrust bearings.. and if you hear clicking.. they probably are.

When you open it up.. rememebr to fish all the old rollers out if any of the cages fell apart.

soundguy

/ steering ajustment
Well heres the latest on my steering problem. Got the steering box off the tractor and on the bench after a few hours of aggravation. After smashing my thumb nail and several cuss words im ready to take it apart. Tore it apart and cleaned things,and commenced inspection. The bearings are bad, of which a few were broken. Further investigation showed the steering shaft the bearings ride on is eating into. Looked in the parts schematics and all they show is the steering tube assembly, not just the shaft that goes thru the tube. I called messicks for a price and was told $500.00 plus for the tube assembly. Talk about sticker shock!!!!!!!!! Im still speechless,,,,,,,bedway