Steering bracket/stripped threads

/ Steering bracket/stripped threads #1  

Conservation

Silver Member
JD 1050 with power assist steering.

Bracket is attached to frame/block with long bolts, and I think spacers, although the spacers are nowhere to be found. There are other bolts holding on the bracket, so I didn't notice the steering right away.

The bolt holes seem to be stripped. Should I just get a large a__ed tap and go oversized after drilling? I have done all sorts of drilling and tapping, but never into a tractor block. The frame material is about 1/2" thick, and I suppose I could just thread that portion, or go with a Helicoil.

Any suggestions?

/ Steering bracket/stripped threads #2  
The heli coil is the easiest way to go. I replaced threads in many blocks and heads in the engine rebuilding shop.

/ Steering bracket/stripped threads
The heli coil is the easiest way to go. I replaced threads in many blocks and heads in the engine rebuilding shop.

Thanks for the reply. I stopped at my friend's CarQuest, and he had what I think are called Tuffserts? Drill the hole, use the fastener with a stop nut on it, and the insert cuts its own threads. Wow! This was quicker, and the end product is much more robust than the Helicoils I have installed. Why the heck didn't I know about these before? Anyhow, drilling the holes just about wore me out! I have one insert in, and had to clean up to get to dinner with my wife tonight. I will finish up the job, which should last forever now. The only "bad" thing was that I had to switch to an english bolt since he didn't have the metric one, so those fasteners don't match the others. Big deal.