Steering cylindar leaking oil

/ Steering cylindar leaking oil #1  

PowerTracManiac

Silver Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1460
First cylindar issue for me.
What has been a slow drip has developed into a stream of oil. Coming from inside--the joint between the rod and the outer housing.
20230702_112543~2.jpg

Looks like I will have to take it off and send it to PT for repair. I know PT makes there own cylindars so I don't trust a local place having the proper components? Maybe I am being paranoid.
I assume I remove the hoses and leave the fittings going into the cylindar casing. Guess I need to plug the hoses after removal so they don't continue to drain oil?
Does anyone know if I need to bleed the repaired cylindar/system somehow after I reinstall it?

Happy 4th everyone!

/ Steering cylindar leaking oil #2  
Like any other hydraulic cylinder, you'd want to use the appropriate fittings to cap the hoses and the cylinder fittings so oil doesn't leak everywhere.

I'd be surprised if PT uses nonstandard seals on their cylinders because that would make it harder to source parts to build machines.

Besides rebuilding, there may be a new cylinder you could substitute instead of fooling with rebuilding yours. If there are nicks or burrs on the cylinder rod, you might be better off just buying a new cylinder.

/ Steering cylindar leaking oil #3  
Sorry to see that!

If the chrome is ok inside and out, they are readily rebuildable. Once the chrome is scratched, or the bore gets grooved, the party is over for a cylinder this small.

I recommend getting a set of SAE M/F caps and plugs to seal up your hoses to keep from getting dirt in and draining oil out of the tank. Plastic works, but I use metal ones. Remember to get every fitting super clean before working on them. I power wash the area first, then scrub them with a brush and soapy water, and follow that with brake cleaner. Dirt is the enemy of hydraulic components and the steering valve is $$$ pricey.

If you cycle the cylinder by hand after you remove it from the tractor, you can get most of the oil out of it before shipping it. After you get the new cylinder installed, you can crack each hose fitting one at a time to bleed the oil, but be careful with high pressure oil sprays! Given where the cylinders are the air will also move its way out of the cylinder system with use.

All the best,

Peter

/ Steering cylindar leaking oil
K, ordered a set of metal plugs and caps for the fittings.
Going to power wash it first and then move ahead when the fittings get here.
Appreciate the suggestions, Peter.

/ Steering cylindar leaking oil #5  
You are welcome!

If you like those sorts of things, check out Cutting Edge Engineering over on YouTube, if you want to see how the big ones are remanufactured. He is a master machinist and welder, and seems to have years and years of experience operating and repairing large hydraulic equipment.

All the best,

Peter

/ Steering cylindar leaking oil #6  
PT will sell you a kit to rebuild them. It really is not hard. Here is a link from one of my rebuilds:

The seals were not available from my local hydraulic shop.

Ken

/ Steering cylindar leaking oil #7  
Maybe not the hardest job, but to me, a messy job. A metal oil drain pan and a lot of clean rags would be helpful.

Received the hydraulic plug and cap kit yesterday.
If I have some time this weekend, I am going to take the steering cylindar off.

20230707_082336.jpg

Took the steering cylindar off today.
Started by pressure washing then brake cleaner on fittings. That combo worked very well to get all the grease, debris, etc off the connection areas.
Then disconnected hydraulic lines. Thought hydraulic fluid was going to siphon out since they are located lower than the tank fluid level but that was not happening.
Capped the lines with my new metal fitting caps to make sure all is sealed up nice and took off cylindar.
Appreciate the help!
20230715_112445.jpg

/ Steering cylindar leaking oil #10  
Looks like the rod eye has been re-welded to the rod at one point, and there's a nick in the rod. Are you going to rebuild it yourself, have a shop do it or send it back to PT?