Steering Issue on JCB 1550 backhoe/loader

/ Steering Issue on JCB 1550 backhoe/loader #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
1987 JCB 1550-B backhoe/loader

Back story: Needed rear stabilizers rebuilt. Had kit in hand, unable to get pins out. Had to drive machine to friends house (machinest) and had to CUT the pins and he fabricated new ones.....literally took us all day yesterday (near 10 hours)

I got home around 9:30 PM last night so have not had any chance to look at anything.... so,

ON DRIVING HOME......I had a couple times where the steering wheel "locked up" (became difficult to turn). I was able to manhandle it to make it work (and stay on my side of the 2-lane road!)....if I had to try to describe it, I'd say it would be similar to driving a car with a loose steering pump belt....sometimes it catches, making steering normal, sometimes it slips, making steering very difficult.

As I got closer to home, the problem worsened where I was near fighting the wheel to finally take the curves to get to my house.

I've not looked at anything yet as I'm still down on my energy from our 10 hour fight with the stabilizers yesterday and don't yet know where to look.

So, all fluids are full. I HAVE heard a bit of a whine every now & then up front. I originally thought my hydraulic fluid was low (because of my stablizers leaking over time) I topped it off and it's full.

I have NO idea where to look for this....but having this choppy "manual" steering isn't going to work.

Any knowledge/help as to where to look?

I appreciate any thoughts.

/ Steering Issue on JCB 1550 backhoe/loader
Just called my local (90 miles away) dealer....

Guy said to first check my "priority valve" Said this was a valve between the pump and steering system. Said it also had a hose that went on to power the hoe/other cylinders.

Said there was a spring and checkball in here that allowed the steering system to work if you burst a hydraulic hose somewhere (steering is hydraulic which I suppose is obvious)

If that ball is rusted (1987 machine means that's reasonable) and/or the spring has snapped (ditto), it could be mucking up my steering.

Then as check two, there is the "orbital valve". Something that I thought (on tractors) might be called a hand pump ??

Anyway, it might have some issues....but to check the priority valve first. If the ball is rusty, I can use emory cloth to clean/buff... if the spring is broken, they don't sell internal parts. I'd have to buy a whole new valve (unless I can find an after market spring)

Looks like I get to get my hands dirty later on today.

/ Steering Issue on JCB 1550 backhoe/loader
Just an update in case someone reads in future....

Turns out this machine does NOT have the "Priority Valve"....instead, it has an actual steering pump next to the alternator. (I had wondered what that was!)

Talking to mechanic, HE was describing how a pump might be going bad if it works fine at first (cold, thicker hydraulic fluid) and as the fluid warms up and thins out a bit, it will change where it's flowing somewhat and the problem will get worse and worse. This is exactly what happens.

So I'm pretty convinced that the pump is the issue and not the (whatever it's called) pump that is located at the bottom of the steering column. Had that go bad on one of our tractors and it leaked like a sieve... this one doesn't so I'm banking it's ok.

Now, I need to wait for rain to stop so I can yank the pump off & get numbers on it.

/ Steering Issue on JCB 1550 backhoe/loader #4  
So you have a separate power steering fluid system? If it uses power steering fluid or ATF, then add a bottle of the thick Lucas power steering fluid stop leak stuff. Myself an other gear heads have used it to remedy a few power steering systems that were acting up/noisy/wouldn't bleed.