Steering leak 1971 Ford 2000 - replace oil seals?

/ Steering leak 1971 Ford 2000 - replace oil seals? #1  

aschwerin

Tractor
1971 Ford 2000 diesel
I've had this tractor for a little while now, and I got around to checking the steering, and there was no fluid in the box. So I filled it up with 80w-90. In 2 days there was almost no fluid in the box, it all leaked down the sector arms.

Its got what I think is called power-assist...its got two hydraulic cylinders attached to the tie rods.

So I ordered some oil seals for the sector shafts. Took the arms off...and could not figure out how to remove the old seals. I took off the cover and adjusting screw assembly from the opposite side. I could tap the sector arms back and forth 1/2" or so, but they wouldn't come out.

So, is there some method I'm missing (the manual says they just pull out...not so...)

Or should I put the #00 grease in and save the oil seal parts for another decade....

/ Steering leak 1971 Ford 2000 - replace oil seals? #2  
they do pull out.

And it's not 'power assist'. it's called.. ' power steering '.

The service manual shows how to dis assemble the steering box.

I don't mess with the power steering boxes, but for the sake of just pulling sector gears and whatnot.. they are the same as the manual boxes.

PS.. got a seal puller? you are doning way too much work.. you can just snatch those out grease and stack a couple new seals and go.