steering question

/ steering question
Mike,

Not sure about the fly by wire thing. I thought with “fly by wire” the control (in this case the steering wheel) sends a signal by wire (either directly or indirectly through a computer) to the device being controlled (in this case the front wheels). If this were the case I think the steering wheel would spin freely if the tractor was turned off and the wheels wouldn’t turn. Because the steering wheel does turn the front wheels with the tractor off I believe there has to still be some sort of mechanical connection even if it’s a pump manually pushing fluid to the front wheels. I imagine this system to be more like the steering wheel being connected to a hydraulic pump and the pump to a cylinder connected to the front wheels. Because fluid isn’t a direct mechanical connection, (gears or rack and pinion) I think it is more like what slowrev said:

“The drift on the steering wheel is apparently due to some hydraulic fluid leakage past seals or something like that.”

I could be wrong though. It’s Just a guess.

Go Bengals, NOT!

Sean

How about go Buckeyes!

/ steering question #12  
Sean,Your right it's not "fly by wire"as we know it,I was using the term generically and incorrectly.
The manual says this:
"In case of manual steering due to engine stop or hydraulic pump faulty,gerotor operates as manual trochoid pump."
They also talk about the centering of the steering "whool"so I don't know if I can believe them..............Mike

Bledsoe, Top rated passer in the NFL