Steering Universal Boot Protector? (BX25)

/ Steering Universal Boot Protector? (BX25) #1  

Wingsy

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25
I had a piece of 1/2" rebar laying around, so I cut it and placed it in the notch in the frame as you see in the picture. Do you think it's strong enough to act as a protector for the steering universal boots?

And 2nd, any ideas on how to hold it in place? (other than welding)

What are those notches & holes in the frame for anyway?

BootProtector.jpg

/ Steering Universal Boot Protector? (BX25) #2  
Great idea Win! For every day use I made boot covers out of discharge hose, been on for 3 years now. boot covers.JPG

/ Steering Universal Boot Protector? (BX25) #3  
Those notches are for the MMM front hardware. Maybe other attachments as well

/ Steering Universal Boot Protector? (BX25) #4  
Exactly - the front mount for the MMM slides in there.

/ Steering Universal Boot Protector? (BX25) #5  
Wingsy you could get some thick zip ties and zip one up, zip one back, then copy on other side. Would also be pretty easy to remove if need be.
X3 on MMM

/ Steering Universal Boot Protector? (BX25) #6  
The rebar shown may bend easier than one thinks and could damage some of the steering components.

/ Steering Universal Boot Protector? (BX25) #7  
I don't think that 1/2" rebar is going to hold up well if you hit something solid. It may work ok against smaller branches and such but anything solid is gonna have the whole weight of the tractor pushing on it and it will bend possible causing more harm than good.

/ Steering Universal Boot Protector? (BX25) #8  
I'd use mechanic's wire to secure the rebar to the bracket and you might find a rubber hose or garden hose of correct diameter to slide over the bar between the two brackets to keep it in place. Same hosing could be used between the bracket and end of the bar near the wheel. A hose clamp could be used next to the bracket to keep the outer hose from coming loose, and if the bar got bent it would add some protection to the area's components.

/ Steering Universal Boot Protector? (BX25) #9  
I'm a new tractor owner and new to this forum. I have a Bx25DBL with 88 hours on it now. I am very happy with this little powerhouse. I have read many threads and got many good ideas and pointers and I appreciate everyone's input and knowledge. In reading the posts on the ball joint boot protectors, I revisited mine. I remember the first time I gave the tractor the once over, I noticed they were a bit cracked but; not broken. I cleaned them with some lacquer thinner and brushed on some liquid electrical tape. I am curious as to how well this will hold up. Has anyone tried this before?

/ Steering Universal Boot Protector? (BX25) #10  
You have the start of a good idea, but I think I would go with some steel tube, or square wall, Weld the ends shut, drill and tap or weld a stud on and secure it with a nut or bolt. That said I also think you are going to want a little more under there, as there is IIRC a little bit of space and you can still have stuff come up under and damage one. Making some armor for mine is on my list, but I have been so busy lately I have not got around to it yet. But it does sound like you have a good idea there.