STEERING WHEEL on PT-422 (2003)

/ STEERING WHEEL on PT-422 (2003) #12  
When you spin the steering wheel, do you feel any resistance at all or any noise from the hydraulics?

/ STEERING WHEEL on PT-422 (2003) #13  
Many years ago, I had some steering issues on my 425. I suspected the steering valve, so I called Terry to price a new one. He said "OK, Let's look up the price on that.... pause..... WOW! You don't want to know the price on that!" He was shocked and that was over 10 years ago. I started looking around on-line and the cheapest I found was something like $750. Anyhow, it turned out to be something else. But I think I still recall another bolt in that shaft. I'll have to look.

Hey, I had my story wrong.... it was 2012. I found that the same steering valve was used in some JD machines, so I called a local JD dealer. He's the one that said some curse words when he saw the price, and when I called Terry, he refused to give me a price because he knew my problem wasn't the steering valve, and he was correct.... funny reading below>

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/power-trac/261334-pt425-steering-valve-noises.html#post3054354

/ STEERING WHEEL on PT-422 (2003) #14  
Hey, I had my story wrong.... it was 2012. I found that the same steering valve was used in some JD machines, so I called a local JD dealer. He's the one that said some curse words when he saw the price, and when I called Terry, he refused to give me a price because he knew my problem wasn't the steering valve, and he was correct.... funny reading below>

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/power-trac/261334-pt425-steering-valve-noises.html#post3054354
I still remember that one. Started me checking the lubrication points better.

/ STEERING WHEEL on PT-422 (2003) #16  
I love how quick of a job it is to lubricate the joints on the PT with Super Lube. You guys are a testament that it works in the long run. I never hear of anyone replacing worn parts. It beats the grease gun operation that all my other tractors need and then the mess afterward!

/ STEERING WHEEL on PT-422 (2003) #17  
Is it open center and does it have a power beyond port?
I know it is not open center, because it locks the wheels from turning if you are not turning the wheel, which seems like a good thing.. as far as a power beyond port, it does have a port on the side, which may be it..

/ STEERING WHEEL on PT-422 (2003) #18  
I know it is not open center, because it locks the wheels from turning if you are not turning the wheel, which seems like a good thing.. as far as a power beyond port, it does have a port on the side, which may be it..

Since our machines are articulated, if you're turning and let go of the wheel, it just stays there anyway. You'd have to hit something pretty hard to force the ram(s) to move and affect the turn.

/ STEERING WHEEL on PT-422 (2003)
@radios1, thanks. May need that in the future.

/ STEERING WHEEL on PT-422 (2003)
@SpringHollow, thank you very much. That link helps a lot.