Steering wheel spinner

/ Steering wheel spinner #1  

DaleAP

Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC2410
So, I just installed a spinner on my GC2410 and adjusted the location several times while mowing. I've now come to the realization that there may not be a true home position for the steering wheel. Has anyone else done this and do you just use it in whatever position it winds up in or did you remove it due to being uncomfortable to use when it may be on the opposite side of where you originally installed it?

/ Steering wheel spinner #2  
I installed one on my tractor thinking it would be very handy. I ended up taking it off as I had too many times when I over-steered. I found the best solution was just the original steering wheel configuration - and it is the safest in my opinion.

/ Steering wheel spinner #3  
It's due to the hydrostatic power steering... I've got it on my JD 4105 and the steering wheel never 'lines up' like a automobile's would.

I too considered installing a knob earlier on (thought it'd be practical and 'cool') but soon ascertained that it would be impractical.

Oh, and welcome to TBN, Mate.

/ Steering wheel spinner #4  
It's due to the hydraulic power steering... I've got it on my JD 4105 and the steering wheel never 'lines up' like a automobile's would.

I too considered installing a knob earlier on but soon ascertained that it would be impractical.

Heavier Kubotas with 100% hydraulic power steering also have indefinite steering.

In contrast the mixed mechanical and hydraulic steering on the 'B' series is very precise.

"Suicide knobs' were a response to larger tractors and heavier cars before power steering became ubiquitous. There were many turns of the steering wheel required to go from lock-to-lock, in order to provide mechanical advantage. I remember what a struggle is was for my Mother to parallel park out 1955 Chevrolet sedan, without power steering, in the city.

My Kubota RTV500 utility vehicle does NOT have power steering, The suicide knob I installed is quite helpful cranking around the steering wheel.

/ Steering wheel spinner #5  
The spinner I use is the palm of my hand. It never loses it's home position. LOL

/ Steering wheel spinner #6  
As sensitive and predictable as my GC1715 power steering is . . . I can't imagine using a spinner with it as I would over react all the time. In the vehicles of my youth I always had a spinner but not on my massey.

/ Steering wheel spinner #7  
I have the tall ball bearing type spinners on all my tractors, and like them. You usually have to take a ball peen hammer to the brackets to customize the fit to your wheel, but they are great after that. Left stays on the spinner, right hand for playing with all the levers........