STEINER 415 leaking axle seals

/ STEINER 415 leaking axle seals
Axles and hubs, that's what has me in a knot this morning. Front left axle on the 415 I cannot get the hub to slide off. Is there something special about getting the hub off? Undo the bolt, take out the setscrew pull off with a puller isn't it as simple as that? The goofy thing will not budge. A little heat helped loosen the Loctite on the set screw, what am I missing?

/ STEINER 415 leaking axle seals #12  
Axles and hubs, that's what has me in a knot this morning. Front left axle on the 415 I cannot get the hub to slide off. Is there something special about getting the hub off? Undo the bolt, take out the setscrew pull off with a puller isn't it as simple as that? The goofy thing will not budge. A little heat helped loosen the Loctite on the set screw, what am I missing?

Yes it should be as simple as that,mine just slid off but it was a low hr. machine.Make sure there isnt another setscrew in the hole.I doubled mine up on the 415 I had. The only other thing I can think of is the key or keys have worn funny and wont let it just slide off. Eddie

Ok, got tired of squirting PB Blaster on it, got a cut off wheel and cut the doggone thing off. Will order a new hub with axle bearings and seals. Now, does the woodruff key have to come out to get the axle tube to slide off? I don't want to take this little guy out if I do not have to. It is giving me a difficult time also, I am beginning to think one of my self proclaimed mechanics put this together with red loctite. The snow is getting closer and I need to get this done.

All right, back at it again, the boys are out plowing a couple drives this morning with the 430 and I need to continue on this 415. I have removed all fasteners holding the front axle in place. Do I have to remove any hoses to allow it to swing low enough to remove the axle tubes? Don't want to open up more than I need to. Replaced way too many rusted tight parts already.

Ok, got the front axle completed, pulled the motor again to get a better look at the frt set up and glad I did. Missed two bolts that the frt axle assy pivoted down on. Also, there is a large o-ringed plug in the top that I used to refill the frt axle. Throw back together to test run then dive into the rear axle seals.

Finished up the rear axle seal replacement after cutting off the left rear hub as well. Did not drop the axle or take off the axle tube. Used a small chisel and dug out that seal. Had a new one in total time spent was half an hour. Don't know why I did not do that the first time. Now on to the carb and why it will not stay running. It's not getting fuel because it is plugged somewhere.

/ STEINER 415 leaking axle seals #17  
1 time 031.jpgAlso remember ,the seals can go bad because of a bad bearing.It will put more pressure on the top side of the seal as bearings wear.A new seal will help for awhile,but it will wear prematurely if the bearing has excessive play.

This little guy has been sitting for 3 or 4 years. Hoping that is the reason for the seals to be leaking.

/ STEINER 415 leaking axle seals #19  
Hello I have a 2004 Steiner 415 I use for feed pushing the left front axle snapped at the wheel can I just replace just the left side or does the whole assembly need taking apart? Thanks farmer3

Hello I have a 2004 Steiner 415 I use for feed pushing the left front axle snapped at the wheel can I just replace just the left side or does the whole assembly need taking apart? Thanks farmer3

You have to start by pulling off the axle tube on that side. It is an oil bath axle so prepare to soak up some hyd oil. While you r in there get new axle seals and o rings. Bearings are cheap as well. It's time consuming but take your time. tedious but simple.