Steiner 430 for acre lot?

/ Steiner 430 for acre lot? #21  
I know they made it with a 25HP Kohler. I was commenting on the list that was not complete and/or not accurate.

See where the list is from..... that tells the story... jim

/ Steiner 430 for acre lot?
I noticed that too Moss. If had an acre lot relatively flat to take of, I would probably rent a utility tractor to do any big recovery stuff and keep the lawn and garden tractor or, if no big cost, get the Steiner. Once the property is in very good shape and under control, I would be happy to do it all by hand; push mower, wheel burro, leaf blower, etc.

On a smaller property like that, the heavy tractors will lead to soil compaction pretty quick and will keep the turf well rutted.

prs
Sure, I do want something powered for snow at least. Thing is, the back is 20k sqft of mud and clay right now due to install on a new septic system. We have a lot of work to do on it. Anyway, the guy had ghosted so it looks like i wont get the Steiner.

/ Steiner 430 for acre lot? #23  
Sure, I do want something powered for snow at least. Thing is, the back is 20k sqft of mud and clay right now due to install on a new septic system. We have a lot of work to do on it. Anyway, the guy had ghosted so it looks like i wont get the Steiner.

Depending on your altitude there in CO, you might not get such good perfromance out of that engine anyway.

/ Steiner 430 for acre lot? #24  
I do love articulated machines, but have never found the articulation on the 430 max to be of any use when stuck. It's just too small to make a difference. Plus, when really stuck, the weak hydraulics won't turn the machine. You can't wiggle in these situations and if you could, it wouldn't be of much help.

DSC03187.JPGDSC03441.JPG

Some of my attachments. Fortunately I got a bunch with the machine. Trying to find them later can be difficult and expensive.
DSC03966.JPG

As far as the Kohler goes. I have seen MANY advertised with rebuilt Kohlers/Onans and NEVER one I remember being a rebuilt Kubota Gas or Diesel.

Last edited:
   / Steiner 430 for acre lot? #25  
Yep. From everything I've read, I can expect about 1500-2000 hours out of my Kohler and then it'll be rebuild time.

/ Steiner 430 for acre lot? #26  
The 21 HP. Kobota diesel was a sick chicken, a guy up the road had one and couldn't wait to get rid of it it was worthless on hills with a 72" mower. The dealer is at fault there selling him it with that big of a mower...... jim

/ Steiner 430 for acre lot? #27  
Yeah, I acquired a 72" mower and it's a bit much for the machine. Not so much for HP but the little machine can barely lift it. It's up for sale. I would have kept it but am not a fan of side discharge mowers.

/ Steiner 430 for acre lot? #28  
Yeah, I acquired a 72" mower and it's a bit much for the machine. Not so much for HP but the little machine can barely lift it. It's up for sale. I would have kept it but am not a fan of side discharge mowers.

Do you have a weight transfer kit on it? It would help with the lifting the deck issue. they are kind of crude but it may help..... jim

/ Steiner 430 for acre lot? #29  
I have no experiance with Steiner's weight transfer hitch. That 72" mower just isn't my cup of tea, so I will try and get rid of it. I am beginning to wonder if it is some "off" brand with Steiner's name on it, because I have not had much serious inquiry. It is missing the chute, so I might make one. It's the first thing I take off on a side discharge mower anyways.