Steiner 430 for acre lot?

/ Steiner 430 for acre lot? #11  
I have an acre and currently run a cub 1641 that i really like. I have a 150 ft. gravel drive, a good amount of trees and a lot of projects as the property was not taken care of for a very long time before we acquired it last spring. I am limiting myself to one machine. Land is nearly flat. I used the cub to its limits spreading gravel with the plow. I also have home made drag harrow, I used my cart a ton this fall for mulch, we have a lot of landscaping to do in the backyard.

i may have a line on a 430 with 25 hp kohler, looks like its in excellent condition and i think i could buy it and sell the Cub for no extra money added.

would you do it?

What are the drawbacks of the Steiner compared to my current GT, and what are the pluses?

thanks.

Do you have any steep places on your property?
Do you move a lot of snow?
Does the 430 come with any attachments?

/ Steiner 430 for acre lot?
Do you have any steep places on your property?
Do you move a lot of snow?
Does the 430 come with any attachments?
Nearly flat. We get a few good snow storms each year of a foot or 2. Plow and deck that I know of.

/ Steiner 430 for acre lot? #14  
Nearly flat. We get a few good snow storms each year of a foot or 2. Plow and deck that I know of.

ts a a 430, I can't remember the engines in them. If it has a mower deck and a blade you are good and find a slip scoop and that is all you need. As far as cutting grass a front mounted mower is head and shoulders above the mid mount mowers it is faster and they will stripe it like a ball field. Plus you can cut under fences and around shrubs and trees easier and faster. With a slip scoop you don't need a trailer or a wheel barrow. you haul stone , mulch and anything else you can get in the bucket.Plowing snow is a walk in the park .... no chains...... jim

/ Steiner 430 for acre lot? #15  
It is an awesome frame size and once you get used to the articulation, you will love it. It has a wide range of capabilities, but also has definite limits. The slips scoop is great, as an overgrown motorized wheelbarrow that you don't have to shovel into; it is not a great digger. But, I wouldn't call our JD3520 a great digger either.... They make great mowers, turf equipment, and snow-removal equipment. Their low center of gravity and true full-time 4WD is great on slopes, but the low ground clearance makes it a little harder to work in the woods and brush.

They went through many variants (420, 430, 430MAX, etc.) with many different engines. I would look for a larger kubota gas or diesel, there was a big generac gas and some dihatsu gas/diesel/turbo diesel options too. I don't love the Kohler engines, but results vary.

If its a good deal, and it comes with the attachments you want, buy it. If you are going to need to go hunting attachments, maybe pass, they can be tough to come by.

/ Steiner 430 for acre lot? #16  
If/when my Steiner 420 dies (don't think it ever will) I'll be looking for a like replacement. Buy that thing or let me buy it.

/ Steiner 430 for acre lot? #17  
I would not go by that no 25 hp. Kohler to much, thats third party BS. I just saw a 2006 Steiner 430 with 900 hrs. It is a 27 HP. Kohler air cooled ....jim

/ Steiner 430 for acre lot? #18  
I noticed that too Moss. If had an acre lot relatively flat to take of, I would probably rent a utility tractor to do any big recovery stuff and keep the lawn and garden tractor or, if no big cost, get the Steiner. Once the property is in very good shape and under control, I would be happy to do it all by hand; push mower, wheel burro, leaf blower, etc.

On a smaller property like that, the heavy tractors will lead to soil compaction pretty quick and will keep the turf well rutted.

prs

/ Steiner 430 for acre lot? #19  
I noticed that too Moss. If had an acre lot relatively flat to take of, I would probably rent a utility tractor to do any big recovery stuff and keep the lawn and garden tractor or, if no big cost, get the Steiner. Once the property is in very good shape and under control, I would be happy to do it all by hand; push mower, wheel burro, leaf blower, etc.

On a smaller property like that, the heavy tractors will lead to soil compaction pretty quick and will keep the turf well rutted.

prs

First off they did make a 430 with a 25 Hp. Kohler and it does weigh a 1000 lb. but ground pressure on a tractor with 4 tires that big is not that much. and the guy gets a snow storms with up to 2 ft. of snow maybe he can put a blade on his push mower..... jim

/ Steiner 430 for acre lot? #20  
First off they did make a 430 with a 25 Hp. Kohler and it does weigh a 1000 lb. but ground pressure on a tractor with 4 tires that big is not that much. and the guy gets a snow storms with up to 2 ft. of snow maybe he can put a blade on his push mower..... jim

I know they made it with a 25HP Kohler. I was commenting on the list that was not complete and/or not accurate.