Step 2 of Cleaning up the Garage/Shop

/ Step 2 of Cleaning up the Garage/Shop #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
After about 8 years of accumulating stuff and cluttering up my garage, I'm working on organizing and decluttering. I'm planning an expansion some time in the future, but I need space in the mean time. I'm still planning to build a backhoe, I'm in the middle of a remodel, and I always have a few projects going.

Step 1 was to build a cart for my welder and associated paraphernalia. Step 2 is this tool cart. I'm planning to use this cart for all of my mechanic tools. It fits under my workbench. It has 4" casters, and it rolls nicely accross the cracked and dirty floor. I'm planning on hanging wrenches and other often used tools on the sides of the cart. The drawers will hold impact wrenches, diagnostic equipment and other tools.

The only money I have into this cart is $3.06 for a bottle of wood glue. (I swear I have another half bottle somewhere, but I can't find it. That's one of the reasons to clean up the garage.) The wood is left over from other projects. I've had a bunch of drawer glides looking for a project, and I traded an extra come-a-long to my brother for the wheels. I will have to buy some drawer pulls, but I think I can get them for under $4 each. That would keep my total cost under $15.

I spent about 10 hours Saturday building it. I'm pleased with how it turned out. It was fun to be working wood again. I've had so much fun burning metal lately that I forgot what a joy it is to work with wood.

Attachments

• Tool Cart Finished 3.JPG
    Tool Cart Finished 3.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 339
   / Step 2 of Cleaning up the Garage/Shop #2  
Awesome little cart! Looks like it's going to suit you well!

After about 8 years of accumulating stuff and cluttering up my garage, I'm working on organizing and decluttering...

I don't know why i'm posting this here, but i just wanted to say that used pallet racks can be a very inexpensive and durable addition to any shop/garage. I bought three 8' uprights and 12 beams for $240, which gives me about 144 sq feet of very heavy duty storage that you can stand up and tear down in no time. Craigslist should hook you up.

/ Step 2 of Cleaning up the Garage/Shop
Awesome little cart! Looks like it's going to suit you well!

I don't know why i'm posting this here, but i just wanted to say that used pallet racks can be a very inexpensive and durable addition to any shop/garage. I bought three 8' uprights and 12 beams for $240, which gives me about 144 sq feet of very heavy duty storage that you can stand up and tear down in no time. Craigslist should hook you up.

Thanks for the advice. I'm looking for any and all ideas.

I'm hoping to organize my shop into tools and materials. I'll have four categories of tools...
Welding/Metal work
Auto Mechanic
Woodworking
Everything else (mostly home improvement stuff).

I haven't figured out yet how to organize the materials. I know that I have a ton of fun going to auctions and selling stuff on E-bay. As a result my inventory of stuff is constantly changing. I need something generic or modular that can easily be converted to store whatever I have at the moment. My default is a few sets of heavy duty shelving, but I'd love to come up with something more creative than that.

/ Step 2 of Cleaning up the Garage/Shop #4  
Thanks for the advice. I'm looking for any and all ideas.

Good luck with the organization, some folks come by it naturally...for me it's the all purpose 'pile'.

Here's an example in Idaho: Pallet Racking - storage - shelving - large quantity - pallet rack

You can move the shelves independently of course, and there are a few different styles of decking...wood, wire mesh, roller sheets, etc. They hold literally tons of 'stuff'. The only issue you may run into is limited variety in beam lengths (which dictate the width of the shelf). You could probably cut and weld them of you want a specific size. I had to cut a few inches off the top of one of my shelves to fit it in the basement...as long as you don't get into the cross-bracing, you should be fine. Just mind the different interconnect types (interlake, teardrop, etc) as you shop so you know what is compatible.

Good luck with the organization, some folks come by it naturally...for me it's the all purpose 'pile'.

Here's an example in Idaho: Pallet Racking - storage - shelving - large quantity - pallet rack

You can move the shelves independently of course, and there are a few different styles of decking...wood, wire mesh, roller sheets, etc. They hold literally tons of 'stuff'. The only issue you may run into is limited variety in beam lengths (which dictate the width of the shelf). You could probably cut and weld them of you want a specific size. I had to cut a few inches off the top of one of my shelves to fit it in the basement...as long as you don't get into the cross-bracing, you should be fine. Just mind the different interconnect types (interlake, teardrop, etc) as you shop so you know what is compatible.

We use quite a bit of pallet racking at work. I don't know where I'd put the racking at home. The front wall of the garage has the roll up doors, the West wall is my workbench, and the back wall slopes to less than 6 feet. That leaves the east wall which has a window and also serves as my sheet goods storage. I just don't think I can really take advantage of the kind of storage that racking would offer.

/ Step 2 of Cleaning up the Garage/Shop #6  
We use quite a bit of pallet racking at work. I don't know where I'd put the racking at home. The front wall of the garage has the roll up doors, the West wall is my workbench, and the back wall slopes to less than 6 feet. That leaves the east wall which has a window and also serves as my sheet goods storage. I just don't think I can really take advantage of the kind of storage that racking would offer.

Ah, sorry, didn't know if you were familiar with it. It's been the cat's meow for my use, but I'm just dumping it into the basement. :)

I picked up some drawer pulls on my lunch break from the local hardware store for $1.79 each. I'm under $10 for this whole cart. Now it's just a matter of loading it up.

What should I hang on the sides? I know the wrenches will go there because they are some of what I use the most. I'm thinking the most used stuff that fits in a 1.5" space. I might do a screwdriver holder out of angle iron. Come to think of it, I could probably do the same for a ratchet holder.

/ Step 2 of Cleaning up the Garage/Shop #8  
What should I hang on the sides? I know the wrenches will go there because they are some of what I use the most. I'm thinking the most used stuff that fits in a 1.5" space. I might do a screwdriver holder out of angle iron. Come to think of it, I could probably do the same for a ratchet holder.

Sorry dude, this is my last post cluttering up your thread, i promise. :eek:

Peg board, magnetic tool holders, whiteboard and a little tray for marker/eraser, paper towel holder, power strip, TV. :D

Sorry dude, this is my last post cluttering up your thread, i promise. :eek:

No need to appologize. I appreciate your input.

Peg board, magnetic tool holders, whiteboard and a little tray for marker/eraser, paper towel holder, power strip, TV. :D

I'll put screws in the OSB vs. pegboard. I may do the magnetic tool holder thing. I'm planning to paint the back of my door to the garage with Chalkboard paint, so the whiteboard would be redundant. There's no room on the outside of the cart for paper towels, but since you mentioned it I may put some inside the cart. The power strip is a good idea. The TV may distract too much from the good looks of the cart ;).

I started loading the cart last night. I put everything I could think of in it that's automotive related and I still have some space for other stuff. I hung wrenches on the right side, but I don' have anything hung on the left side yet. Time to get more tools ;).

I loaded all my sockets and extra wrenches in the middle drawer. After it was loaded I decided to remove it to lubricate the drawer glides. I nearly dropped the drawer because it was so heavy. It must be almost 100 pounds. Even with that heavy drawer open all the way, the cart is very stable.