Stick welder recommendation ?

/ Stick welder recommendation ? #21  
thingy said:
Now that is funny,,how do you get them little men to roll around like that anyways? thingy

Not hard at all. You go to FreeSmileys.org :: Free Animated Emoticons Smileys Smiley Faces GIF, pick the smiley you want to use and copy the provided image link to it and post it here.

bounce016.gif

/ Stick welder recommendation ? #22  
I'm going to have to check that out,,sharing your wisdom sometimes requires visual aids....,,,,,,,,,[this oughta be good],,,thingy

/ Stick welder recommendation ? #23  
As per someone's comments:

we don't want the forum clogged with questions having absolutely no connection with tractors....

Don't think my little toy tractor with grain scoop bucket would be functioning on our toy farm without the services of a welder.:D

/ Stick welder recommendation ? #24  
thingy said:
Dan,you got some funny words there,,,I guess you didn't read soundguys post to me? [right above mine],he called me a know it all,I just agreed,in this topic anyways.
Since me and you's talking now,what do you think about the subject? thingy
I'm assuming Soundguy's comment was to your statement regarding a previous poster. Being "a know it all", is they way I read the thread and its certainly the way you come across in this thread and in others. And as you seem to imply in your post to me.

I have no comment on the subject which has no bearing at all to the tone and nature of your comments.

TBN is a place to learn from other people. Rude comments are simply not needed. If you think you are making a joke then the use of the Advanced Reply to put in Smilies or the use of emoticons will clarify your language.

Most people who consider themselves an expert in a field usually realize that the more they know, the more they dont know. For most people, the realization that they have more to learn even after decades of experience, makes them humble.

Later,
Dan

/ Stick welder recommendation ? #25  
thingy said:
Man,,some people just wanta give advise,,,number 1,,you get better penatration with dc than ac,,,number2,,you can weld some thing 8 inches thick with 120-130 amps,you just gotta prepare groove and make multipasses,,[how do you think they weld pipe thats an inch thick,,just one pass?,,you'd need an 1 1/2 dia rod,not to mention it wouldn't work],,,,funny,,,,thingy

You're right Thingy. As long as you are using the right rod/filler that is rated for multi-pass welds then you are better off doing as you described. The original question was more about the difference between the two than what is the best way to do it.

If I had a big thick slab of rusty steel on a farm implement and I wanted to stick it to another thick slab of rusty steel in a hurry then I would use AC with the high amps and be done with it. Is this ideal? No. But it does give you some flexibility in the old tool kit for less money.

I will defer to you and I certainly never claimed to be an expert. I actually appreciate what you bring to these threads even if it is covered in salt and sand and burns a little. ;)

/ Stick welder recommendation ? #26  
Must be the cold weather after all the warm weather. I went fishing yesterday and everyone on the boat was the crankiest I've ever seen them.
shark1.gif

Last edited:
   / Stick welder recommendation ? #27  
Yeah,I guess I could put things a little better sometimes,will work on it??
I can't think of any rods that are not"rated" for multiple passes with them,maybe hardsurfacing or something.?? You can weld multiple passes with 6011 and 6013 just like you can with 6010.You can put a good weld on with ac,never said you couldn't,,its just if you got a choice,,most everybody would use dcep,,I got a dc generator welder,,no ac,,I wouldn't use ac even if it had it,,dc is smoother,runs rods better and more kinds of them,deeper penatrating.

Now dan,do you have anything to add to this thread other than helping soundman out? and calling me names? If you'll notice,have not called you or soundman any names,and I am a member too,,you got some upside down logic,but thats what makes the world go round I guess,,later,,,thingy

/ Stick welder recommendation ? #28  
You need to think of a welder as a type of power source and not necessarily as a type of welding process.

If you look carefully, you can find a power source that will let you do whatever process you want (Thermal Arc 300MST or ESAB MultiMaster 260 are two examples).

If you really want to do ONLY stick, then the Miller Thunderbolt, Hobart Stickmate, or Lincoln 225 are products available in a $500 or less price range.

If you want a big stick welder then you end up with something like a Miller Dialarc 250. For that kind of money, you can start looking at multi-process power sources like the Miller CST 280, Miller MaxStar 200, Lincoln Invertec series, or Thermal Arc 300S. The advantage to the inverter welders is they're way smaller in size, take up less shop space, are portable and many will have multi-link capabilities to use different voltages automatically.

/ Stick welder recommendation ? #29  
thingy said:
Yeah,I guess I could put things a little better sometimes,will work on it??
I can't think of any rods that are not"rated" for multiple passes with them,maybe hardsurfacing or something.?? You can weld multiple passes with 6011 and 6013 just like you can with 6010.You can put a good weld on with ac,never said you couldn't,,its just if you got a choice,,most everybody would use dcep,,I got a dc generator welder,,no ac,,I wouldn't use ac even if it had it,,dc is smoother,runs rods better and more kinds of them,deeper penatrating.

Hardfacing rods are specifically made for multiple passes to allow you to build up the hard surface. So, just like the other rods you've mentioned - hard facing rods are good for multiple passes.

The only rods I can think of that may be single pass are some of the high speed tool steel rods & the air and oil hardening TIG fillers. But, those are way into the specialty category.

/ Stick welder recommendation ? #30  
Robert, My .02

I see used tombstones in places fairly often, but they're always ac machines. I would think shipping on ebay would be seriously high.

If you've used the stick welder much you'll know that real high amperage is not neccessary for most applications. I recently welded some 3/4" plate to 3/4 plate and I used 5/32" 6011 rod and I felt 150a was a little to high but I liked the weld better than I did at 135 using my tombstone. I think higher than 150 would have just gouged the weld.

I wish I would have gotten dc when I got my tombstone. Get it when you get yours.

Unlike most here I prefer my stick welder to a wire feed. I feel I get better penetration. A wire feed machine to weld thick stuff costs too much as you have pointed out. I have a small wire feed for very thin metal and the stick for heavy stuff. I almost always use the stick. Since I don't use it for a living, changing out rods simply gives me time to look at my project as I go along.

Good luck, MP