Stick Welding?

/ Stick Welding? #1  

yomax4

Elite Member
Tractor
ISEKI TA 247. Stihl Saws Gravely Zt's Polaris ATV's State Of The Art Welding Equipment
I can't believe it. I am an advanced process welder type guy who enjoys the latest in Twin Pulse Synergic Mig and Variable Frequency Power Supplies. Today I was installing some Cattle Fence panels on the interior of my new wood shed building. 1/4" rods welded together..I had to cut several panels with Plasma and weld in sections to complete the runs and corners. My only option was stick welding on 115v. I have a little Thermal Arc 161 that runs on 115/230 so I ran out 70' of extension cord and stick welded the panels together with 1/8" MG 500 ( fancy 6013 ) it worked awesome. My point here is that I read all these posts about stick welding and have always been very bored reading them.. Now that I have had to re-learn it..It was very enjoyable and I loved every minute of it. Sorry to think you stick weld guys were boring.. I get it now..:thumbsup:

/ Stick Welding? #2  
Welcome aboard... what's twin pulse synergic? New kind of 7018? Can you run 2 beads at once? ;)

/ Stick Welding? #3  
When I started in welding school, (15-years old) the teacher divided the class in half by alphabetical order. First half started on O/A welding the others on SMAW. I started on stick, which worked for me, because I knew I was going into construction, at that point in time that is the only process you'd see on a heavy civil construction site. When I had to go to the O/A welding tables I hated every minute of it! The second year was Mig, and Tig, Mig wasn't so bad, but Tig was just as bad as O/A. Oh I learned each process, but I knew for me the money was with stick. Within 10-years construction switched to wire feeds. I do fine with Tig, but I'm the last guy you want to weld something with O/A! :laughing:

/ Stick Welding? #4  
With a torch I have welded. silvered, brazed, or soldered almost everything possible. Gold is welded or soldered with gold, silver with silver and platinum with platinum. Platinum welds at white heat. Done some silver items so large that it took 3 torches to get them hot and keep them hot enough to weld. Gold is easy & nice to work with.

Not much luck with aluminum. Ni-chrome Had me worried first time, had no idea how it would work. Ni-chrome wire, no flux and it went so well I couldn't believe it.
Brazed up a few gas tanks, by pumping them full of exhaust from a running engine. Silvered Monel to stainless.

Plus all the regular stuff, mufflers, tail pipes, Etc.:thumbsup:

With AC stick, am fair with thick stuff that I can crank up the amps. But am having fits with some thin stuff, .085. :( Would torch it if my tanks had any gas in them. :)

Sure would like to try tig, mig and all the new things out there. No one close to me welds anything or has equipment. :(

/ Stick Welding?
Gold is a nice filler metal. I have welded Gold with the Plasma Weld process on the 2010 Super Bowl rings. A lot of Silver and Bronze as well. I used to sell the stuff to Thermo King, Sub Zero and Speed Queen. I love soldering and brazing.

/ Stick Welding? #6  
Gold is a nice filler metal. I have welded Gold with the Plasma Weld process on the 2010 Super Bowl rings. A lot of Silver and Bronze as well. I used to sell the stuff to Thermo King, Sub Zero and Speed Queen. I love soldering and brazing.

got any pictures of you and the rings? :)

/ Stick Welding?
Can't take pics at Jostens. Pretty much strip search you in and out and metal detector too. I assist them with Plasma Welding issues when sizing the rings and defect repair from casting. Cool stuff I assure you.