stihl 025 stopped oiling.

/ stihl 025 stopped oiling. #1  

cqaigy2

Tractor
PT 422
I was cutting a few weeks ago and the chain/bar sounded wrong. Stopped the saw and noticed the chain and bar looked drier then it should. Pulled the bar off to clean stuff up. Started saw with out bar on, revved it a bit and no oil.

I pulled the clutch and the worm gear was messed up where the metal clip was attached. Here's a picture.

Replaced it and it's oiling again. Got a lot of clean up from the ice storm. Firs tipped over, alders broken and a few larger cherrys hung up in trees.

Attachments

• IMAG0166.jpg
    IMAG0166.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 682
   / stihl 025 stopped oiling. #2  
I was cutting a few weeks ago and the chain/bar sounded wrong. Stopped the saw and noticed the chain and bar looked drier then it should. Pulled the bar off to clean stuff up. Started saw with out bar on, revved it a bit and no oil.

I pulled the clutch and the worm gear was messed up where the metal clip was attached. Here's a picture.

Replaced it and it's oiling again.

Wow, kinda rare. Just one of a kind freaky thing or do you think something caused it ?

What's your choice of chain lube ?
(Just curious, not implying related to failure)

/ stihl 025 stopped oiling. #3  
My Stihl won't oil the bar, but without a bar on it it spits out some oil from the dimple. Took it to the Stihl shop told them it shows oil without a bar on it, but the chain runs dry something ain't right.

$19.85, told me it was fine, still doesn't oil the chain for me.

Don't know what's going on with mine.

--->Paul

/ stihl 025 stopped oiling. #4  
My Stihl won't oil the bar, but without a bar on it it spits out some oil from the dimple. Took it to the Stihl shop told them it shows oil without a bar on it, but the chain runs dry something ain't right.

--->Paul

Could be one of several things...

Theres a tiny hole in the bar that delivers oil to the chain. Make sure that aint plugged.

Some saws have a "backing" plate that diverts oil into a "slot" on the saw side that that inturn feeds the hole in the bar. MAKE sure the hole in the bar lines up with that slot. if not, you have the wrong bar or backing plate.

Also make sure the oil isnt weeping out elsewhere. Like between the case of the saw and the backing plate.

If it is pumping oil it has to be going somewhere.

/ stihl 025 stopped oiling. #5  

--->Paul

Make sure the oil hole in the bar lines up with the oil slot on the saw. Have seen more than one bar than was miss made from the factory and doesn't line up correctly and won't oil properly. Had a new Dolmar saw about 2 years ago that the bar oil hole was off .400 inch. Had one on a stihl last year that was off almost that much.

/ stihl 025 stopped oiling.
Wow, kinda rare. Just one of a kind freaky thing or do you think something caused it ?

What's your choice of chain lube ?
(Just curious, not implying related to failure)
Unfortunately, I bought it several years ago and now whats left is in a half gallon jug that used to hold another brand of chain oil.

It's probably something i got from stihl, thick like red syrup and slicker then snot.

I really don't know what happened, but it looks like the plastic got hot and spun out into that disk shape, almost like the worm gear stopped turning and the wire kept spinning around. It didn't seem very cold outside, maybe high 20's so i don't think the oil would be that thick.