Stihl 036 Hard Starting

/ Stihl 036 Hard Starting #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
I have an 036..wife and kids bought it for me in like 1990-over 500 bucks then. Anyway been a good saw but now when I go to start it, almost like engine is frozen. Never had a fuel issue where I was too light on oil mix. New versions have a compression release but not this one. Been searching You Tube- no answers -except one "chainsaw gal" said words to effect ..."when you are old you have no business owning something like an 036, you don't have the strength to start it"...:confused:
Any opinions? and yes I'm old!

/ Stihl 036 Hard Starting #2  
**** my bro in-law cannot even start his lawnmower
If the tv could
Mow he'd let it
Mine kicks me also but fires up

/ Stihl 036 Hard Starting #3  
Is someone else (say younger or stronger) able to start it without an issue? I know sometimes I now have to take my jacket off when I start my 70 cc on the first start of the day.

/ Stihl 036 Hard Starting #4  
I’m not sure if you are saying you can’t get it to move at all? If that’s the case take the spark plug out and see if you can turn it over.

/ Stihl 036 Hard Starting #5  
Carbon build up on the piston and combustion chamber can increase the compression ratio, making it harder to pull through.

/ Stihl 036 Hard Starting #6  
If everything checks out and not a stuck needle seat letting mix by or timing issue etc.

Read this. Husky xp266

Then this Husky 266xp part 2

I have had to do this for alot of older folks. Not to long ago on a 034 super - 036 too. I can understand why hard to start those. Back when they were made right to run like a mean hornet.

/ Stihl 036 Hard Starting
Well guys thx for comments...and sad fact it IS me! Took saw to friend a lot younger than me and he started it on second pull.

I am 80 and two years ago at age 78 I could do what most 58 year olds could not do. Then in Nov 21 I tested positive for covid. Did not bother me until 4-6 weeks later when I had no energy, and tired. After every test under the sun, my doc says I'm a "covid longhauler". If you have read anything about it, effects people differently..in my case strength/energy, tiredness. All kinds of articles about it but conclusion is always the same.."no clue".

/ Stihl 036 Hard Starting #8  
The Stihl Elastostart handle also makes pulling a little easier. The D handle may have an Elastostsart insert too, I haven't used one.

My small Echo starts extremely easily. I think it has a small passage from the cylinder above the exhaust port into the port to bleed off pressure. Some two stroke dirt bikes in the '70s had something similar. Once the engine has started it's too small to have a significant effect.

Retarding the timing slightly won't make it easier to pull through compression but will make it less likely to kick back.

You could change to a cylinder that can take a compression release, or if the space is there in the casting, have it milled drilled and threaded for a release.

/ Stihl 036 Hard Starting #9  
The chainsaw dealer I deal with told me when I asked about my Husky 395 being hard to start he told me too old , I said you mean the saw he said no the person pulling the rope. He is 81 and I am 80.

/ Stihl 036 Hard Starting
The chainsaw dealer I deal with told me when I asked about my Husky 395 being hard to start he told me too old , I said you mean the saw he said no the person pulling the rope. He is 81 and I am 80.
Hah..makes me feel better