Stihl 261cm hard starting

/ Stihl 261cm hard starting #1  

frogpond

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D
I have a Stihl MS 261CM, set up with 3/8 chain and lightweight bar, which I generally like. However, a cold start usually takes about 9 pulls, sometimes 12 when the weather is cold (Western Washington, so only in the 30s or 40s). After it's warmed up, 2 or 3 pulls to start, 1 pull if it's still pretty hot. I have replaced the fuel solenoid, and run the reset sequence. I use non-alcohol fuel with stabilizer added. I am at about 600 feet altitude.
Is there any way to make cold starts easier? Or is this normal for that saw?

/ Stihl 261cm hard starting #2  
May want to check to make sure the choke is closing all the way. Have worked on a few stihl's recently were the choke was hanging up and not fully closing.

/ Stihl 261cm hard starting #3  
that is not normal mine starts easily regardless of temp.

/ Stihl 261cm hard starting #4  
Mine is starting on 3rd pull.
9-12 is too much.

/ Stihl 261cm hard starting #5  
Isn't normal at all for the 261cm. Mine will start in 20 or 90 degree weather in 3 pulls max. Check your lines and filter and make sure they are clogged...

/ Stihl 261cm hard starting #6  
I agree, it should start on third or fourth pull. With mine I go full choke. It pops and acts like it going to run on second or third pull. Take the choke halfway off then and it starts a runs on the next pull. It’s a long shot but I’d throw a spark plug in it.

/ Stihl 261cm hard starting
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try them.

/ Stihl 261cm hard starting #8  
May want to check to make sure the choke is closing all the way. Have worked on a few stihl's recently were the choke was hanging up and not fully closing.
I have had to tweek the choke linkage a bit because the choke plate was not closing all the way.

/ Stihl 261cm hard starting #9  
Isn't normal at all for the 261cm. Mine will start in 20 or 90 degree weather in 3 pulls max. Check your lines and filter and make sure they are clogged...

unclogged lol

/ Stihl 261cm hard starting #10  
I have a Stihl MS 261CM, set up with 3/8 chain and lightweight bar, which I generally like. However, a cold start usually takes about 9 pulls, sometimes 12 when the weather is cold (Western Washington, so only in the 30s or 40s). After it's warmed up, 2 or 3 pulls to start, 1 pull if it's still pretty hot. I have replaced the fuel solenoid, and run the reset sequence. I use non-alcohol fuel with stabilizer added. I am at about 600 feet altitude.
Is there any way to make cold starts easier? Or is this normal for that saw?
Have you checked your spark plug?

My 261CM starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull. The only time it didn't start the fuel solenoid had failed. My solenoid was a black colored one, it was original. As I understand there are only green and white ones available. I replaced mine with a green and it worked just like new. Depending on the serial number of your saw it could either take a green or a white one.