Stihl brush knife on FS 250

/ Stihl brush knife on FS 250 #1  

Topkicker

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
I recently purchaced a Stihl FS 250 bike handle trimmer to trim around the pond and landscape beds. It is very powerfull and comfortable to use. I have the line trimmer head and poly head for trimming the thicker stuff. Today I bought the steel brush knife to clear some thorn bushes and small saplings that have overtaken a cedar tree line that has been neglected for many years. This blade is a monster. I was sawing through 3/4 in saplings with no problem. The blade and heads are easy to change and love the versatility of this powerful trimmer.

IMG00347.jpg

IMG00348.jpg

/ Stihl brush knife on FS 250 #2  
These are excellent blades for cutting brush and saplings. They cut woven wire fence real good also. Be careful when trimming around your fence.

/ Stihl brush knife on FS 250 #3  
I have the line trimmer head and poly head for trimming the thicker stuff. Today I bought the steel brush knife to clear some thorn bushes and small saplings that have overtaken a cedar tree line that has been neglected for many years. This blade is a monster. I was sawing through 3/4 in saplings with no problem. The blade and heads are easy to change and love the versatility of this powerful trimmer.

I like the metal blades, too. They don't sling debris all over you like the string heads. I assume that you know about the "brushcutting" blades -- they look like circular saw blades and allow you to cut through larger diameter saplings/brush.

Steve

/ Stihl brush knife on FS 250
I like the metal blades, too. They don't sling debris all over you like the string heads. I assume that you know about the "brushcutting" blades -- they look like circular saw blades and allow you to cut through larger diameter saplings/brush.

Steve

Yep. I looked at them also. They had two different ones. I would need to buy a separate guard to use one and the blades were more money. I decided to give the brush knife a try first. It done the job with ease. I'm sure the brush saw blades could handle 2 to 3in diameter trees with a powerful trimmer. They looked nasty.:laughing:

/ Stihl brush knife on FS 250 #5  
I use both the brush blade and the chisel tooth blade depending upon what I am doing and the stuff I am removing. I find the brush blade (triangle blade) does a better job up until the diameter approaches 1 inch. It also "mulches" the remains better than the chisel. The chisel cuts very clean and fast with the larger stem diameters but it is a pain to use it to chop the debris into small pieces assuming you are leaving it to return to the soil naturally. I have used the brush blade up to 3 inches but it takes a couple if hits at high throttle to cut through at those diameters. Each has its use and I normally have one on one unit and the other on another so I can work in tandem with the other half. The chisel blade does not like rocks or dirt where the brushblade does not really get dulled that much by the occassional impact.

/ Stihl brush knife on FS 250 #6  
The circular blade does a good job of pruning also. It leaves a much cleaner cut than does a chainsaw head. The one circular blade can sharpened with a chainsaw file.

/ Stihl brush knife on FS 250 #7  
just make sure the point is higher than the tail, and all the teeth are the same length and you are good to go ... im cutting through trees 4-5" thick with mine ... makes clearing much easier in areas where the tractor cant get in with the brush hog

/ Stihl brush knife on FS 250 #8  
After reading all the good things posters had to say about the FS 250, I bought one this Spring. Only had a chance to run tank of fuel through it before the week of rain began, but I was impressed.

I have the grasswhip head that came with it, the circular blade with file-able teeth, and the three cornered brush blade. So far, I have only used the circular blade mostly for saplings up to 1-1/2". Cuts those like butter.

It does have a tendency to pull in on the larger diameter stuff I found. Have to focus on controlling that when cutting something like a sprout off a main trunk at ground level. It will be 1" into the trunk before you know it. So far, my technique has been let the guard drag on the ground to get some control when it matters.

It's going to be a great tool for trail maintenance and getting in areas where the trees are too close for the bush hog.
Dave.

/ Stihl brush knife on FS 250 #10  
Be careful, they will , kick back, especially if you are pruning.

Thanks for the heads up. Until now, I have been cutting the saplings along trails with a small chainsaw, that gets old real quick. This thing is a back saver for sure and so much faster.
Dave.