Stihl Chain Sharpening How To Video

/ Stihl Chain Sharpening How To Video #1  

Artisan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25
"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27

I do not attend church regularly, does not mean I am an atheist, the above rings so true. Watch the video and see what I mean.

This is one of, if not the most informative, down and dirty How To Sharpen a Stihl Chain vids I have seen to date. Very well done it is...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEYUSj1XVFY"]How To Sharpen A Stihl Chainsaw - YouTube[/ame]

/ Stihl Chain Sharpening How To Video #3  
I really enjoyed watching the video. It covered all aspects of the process and in detail. Thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

/ Stihl Chain Sharpening How To Video
Yea that was a good find. I think he has some other vids too...

/ Stihl Chain Sharpening How To Video #5  
Hay, learned sum'ing too - never loan out your wife. Didn't know that one. :laughing: :laughing: That was a free-bee he threw in at the end.

Seriously, nice video.

/ Stihl Chain Sharpening How To Video #6  
Definatally some good info there. However, For a newbiee, I wouldnt be so quick to discount the granberg jig that he claims is "Slow, impratical, and clunky." I use one and they do work VERY well. I dont like the guide like he showed that clips around the file because You cant see what you are doing as well. And it dont hold the angle. It is still relying on YOU to line things up.

The granberg is only $30 and worth every penny IMO. Trying to file by hand, most people will have the angles soo screwed up that they either just buy a new chain, or have to have it sharpened on a machine and trued back up which removes a LOT of material and thus shortens chain life. PLUS, that clip on guide, you cannot get an accurate 10 degree tilt either.

Honestly It only takes 5 minutes to sharpen 24" chain with the granberg. Filing by hand may only save a minute or so, for me, the risk of screwing up the angles and having to sharpen again just isnt worth it.

And on a side note, NEVER drag a file backwards as he was seen doing on the rakers. It dulls them.

Not knocking him or the video. IT was indeed informative for a beginner. But keep in mind, that is just one guys opinion. As is mine in reccomending the granberg gig.:thumbsup:

Thank You LD1

I have a lil Granberg I think it is electric grinder and it works great! I am
tying to learn the full spectum, your comments are most appreciative.
See ya in teh Chainsaw forum, I posted up in the Another Junk Saw thread, be sure to read my post...

:thumbsup:

/ Stihl Chain Sharpening How To Video #8  
Thank You LD1

I have a lil Granberg I think it is electric grinder and it works great! I am
tying to learn the full spectum, your comments are most appreciative.
See ya in teh Chainsaw forum, I posted up in the Another Junk Saw thread, be sure to read my post...

:thumbsup:

If it is a granberg it is not electric.

There are only two kinds of electric sharpeners I know of. One is the dremel attachment. Those are okay. The other is the actual grinders that you have to take the chain off for. I dont like those.

The granberg is a jig that just holds the file angles for you and clamps on the bar. Like the one he referenced in the video somewhere around the 3:00 mark

/ Stihl Chain Sharpening How To Video #9  
This dude should have a teaching job. Dang impressive video!

PH

If it is a granberg it is not electric.

There are only two kinds of electric sharpeners I know of. One is the dremel attachment. Those are okay. The other is the actual grinders that you have to take the chain off for. I dont like those.

The granberg is a jig that just holds the file angles for you and clamps on the bar. Like the one he referenced in the video somewhere around the 3:00 mark

Well, I started scratchin' my knoggin and dug out the sharpener. It is
what I have always grabbed to sharpen with, but I think I want to
get a Stihl hand sharpening set and see about just "touchin' up" my blades
instead of this electric cheater...

granberg.jpg