Stihl chainsaw quit, need some suggestions.

/ Stihl chainsaw quit, need some suggestions.
thanks john, ill check that out next. Yesterday, i tried new mix, no go. Also check the fuel line and filter and it was fine. I have not checked the impulse line yet.
Seems to have pretty good compression by the "drop method". It definitely does not just fall straight down, falls slowly as it turns over.
Seems to have plenty of spark as well, at least wheni have the plug out and i can look at it.

Is spraying ether a no no on 2 strokes?

/ Stihl chainsaw quit, need some suggestions. #12  
dirtyb115 said:
Is spraying ether a no no on 2 strokes?

I'm not sure, but I don't see what it will get you. Didn't you say it starts and runs for a bit, then dies? I thought ether only helped with the starting.

/ Stihl chainsaw quit, need some suggestions.
No, it only started and ran maybe twice, other than that i have not even got it to fire. Once was after i cleaned the carb out the first time. I just went through it again last night and this time nothing. I replaced both fuel lines on and no difference. It will not fire with ether or anything. The exhaust does not looked clogged at all, in fact i was surprised at how little build up there was. Im gonna get a gauge 2nite and check compression.

/ Stihl chainsaw quit, need some suggestions. #14  
I have a 026 and the switch was loose... would not stop running and finally would not start. Ends up the switch needed to be reconnected because it stayed in the stop position even thou the switch moved normally.

mark

/ Stihl chainsaw quit, need some suggestions. #15  
this is just my 2 cents on 2 strokes, from what i've learned, and from what experienced people have told me;

i use high test gas; it goes bad slower; and the dealers have all told me over 30 days, pour it in the truck.

i check the plug early on; i make sure i have the right mix ratio(just a tad rich). i keep at least one fresh new plug around. i clean the whole thing, air filter included, off with a brush after i'm done, and loosen the chain. i run the saw dry when i use it; never store it with gas in it, as it builds up gum. i use 'seafoam' in my gas-the stihl dealer says it saves a lot of trips to their shop.

pull the muffler once a year, and burn the thing with a propane torch...it'll smoke like crazy; clean the port with apopsicle stick (don't leave splinters in there)

changing fuel and bar oil filters once in awhile saves frustration. flushing both tanks out some times is agood idea; they get little chips in them..can't help it with all that junk floating around. if it's really cold, a little kerosene added to the bar oil is good (just a little).

bailey's is worth keeping onyour favorites; they are full of good advice, and good parts. they been good to me; i change out the stihl bar and buy a oregon that i can grease the sprocket tip on after the stihl bar goes wonky and gets burrs. i buy the 'full up' chisel chain....the 'safety chain' makes dust, the other stuff makes chips, but you got to watch your self. flip the bar whenever you change the chain; i get two chains; i sharpen the old one before i take it off, then flip the bar for even wear, and use the stored chain(it's already sharp and ready to go).

this saw you got sounds like it may need gentle rehabilitation....if you got a manual, go through it replacing anything that looks like it's wore out; if not, a good dealer or repair guy would be a great asset....i have a little two stroke generator someone gave me-i had to play with the air jet-it tried to run just like you're describing...maybe you got a little piece of something in the jet channel....

rebb

/ Stihl chainsaw quit, need some suggestions. #16  
Make sure you check fuel pickup in the tank; should be a filter on end of it. Turn both carb adjusting screws ONE turn counterclockwise. If it still does not run, time to rebuild carb; or at least clean it.

/ Stihl chainsaw quit, need some suggestions. #17  
Hi this older model stihl is noted for the ignition coil failing with age It may have visible spark when the plug is out but may not have sufficient voltage when under compression I have two 032 s with coils that has spark but die out after they warm up and you wait and engine may fire and just cant get it to idle or run right this can fool you into thinking its fuel related also make sure you have a good plug Like I said this can mimic fuel system problems when spark becomes intermittent after engine warms up or from vibration the 032 has a simple reliable fuel system if it is kept clean and it sounds like you have already addressed this issue you mentioned that it won't even fire with either then it must be ignition as suspected my advice try a different coil sincerely mike

Last edited:
   / Stihl chainsaw quit, need some suggestions. #18  
I'm a little late to the discussion but better late than never! I used to log for about 20 years until it took it's toll on me physically. I have always used Sthil chain saws among others such as Lumbards, Jonsereds, Poulan and a few others. I always found keeping the air filters blown out did wonders. Also on 2 strokes, if any part of the fuel line swells from age, it's going to give you problems. I just made it a habit once a year to replace fuel lines and filter. You should be replacing the air filter more often. I really never had much problems with carbureators............they seem to hold up pretty well. On occassion you might have to readjust the hi/low speed screws..............mostly the low speed. The AV031 were one of the best saws they ever made. Then they got a brain storm to make a Super 41 which in my opinion was a piece of junk. After they sold them they had dealers modifying them because they had so much power they just tore themselves up. If I had a dollar for every heli coil I put in those saws I'd be a millionaire.............they just constantly rattled apart, blew up engines, etc. I even tried thread lock and using silicone.........made no difference...........just rattled apart! They'd break mufflers as well and new ones weren't cheap! I have a M310 now that I use for firewood and it seems to be a really good saw..........bought it in early 2000's and NO PROBLEMS ever.........starts right up 1st or 2nd pull everytime!
There's not much to a 2 cycle engine and as far as the saw goes, keeping things properly adjusted and serviced is the best PM you can do. One thing I found over the years is guys who think they know how to sharpen a saw...........they're far and few..........believe me! Stay away from those sharpening machines.........they just grind away your $$$$$$$$$$ each and everytime you use one! You need the RIGHT FILE for the APPROPRIATE CHAIN, you need to file the right piece of the tooth which is the top edge, you need to file evenly so the saw cuts straight.........filing one side or the other more creates a saw that cuts circles, and you need to file down the drags..........almost never done by the ameteures!
I have found Poulan to be a really good saw for the past 20 years or so! Before that they were just what the name said..........pull on, pull on, pull on! They made major changes to them in the late 80's and they are a very good saw, I have several for limbing..........nice lightweight!! As I stated, just good PM and they run everyday............all day..........no problems! ONE WORD OF ADVICE....................NEVER LEND YOUR SAWS!!!!! If you hire an idiot, which I can generally tell just with conversation before I hire one, I can definitely tell within 10-15 minutes watching him............DOWN THE ROAD THEY GO!!

/ Stihl chainsaw quit, need some suggestions. #19  
bad gas mix?
i used to have a full bottle of homelite oil mix in a "premeasure" bottle - it had a top chamber that you could fill by squeezing the bottle and then dum the measured amount to mix. long story short, I couldn't get anything to run with this stuff. As soon as i tried a different mix, saw, weedeater, etc... all ran fine.

good luck.

Interesting and good to know... I just did a complete tune up on my homelite chainsaw and used the same homelite oil mix you did and now Im having trouble keeping mine running over 30 seconds. I'm going to try a different mix... I hope this fixes my problem!! :)

/ Stihl chainsaw quit, need some suggestions. #20  
Get a paper clip and pull out your gas tank fuel line. I replaced mine last year and skipped checking it this spring when having similar problem. Fuel line had gone bad in 6 months. Replaced with new sthil line and ran fine.